News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Can someone help me with the 2nd to last medal (before the Centenarmedaille).

It's clearly one of the 3 colonial medals (based on the shape of the medal):

- Kolonial-Denkmünze

- China-Denkmünze

- Südwestafrika-Denkmünze

But which one? My guess is the Kolonial-Denkmünze (based on the ribbon). But I can't confirm it. Perhaps someone else can.

He served on board the Panzerfregatte "Friedrich Carl" (May 1880-September 1880) and the Artillerieschulschiff "Mars" (October 1882-May 1883). Perhaps this info can help in determining which colonial medal it is.

Thanks

HansSack.jpg

122248637_2829598483981334_5213685375113041239_n - Copy.jpg

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

6 hours ago, 91-old-inf-reg said:

Hello, 

it is clearly the China denkmuze as the 3 colors of the imperial German flag are present and the rim of the medal has what looks like a thick border, or wreath, which none of the other colonial medals had, 

regards, 

Dan

Thank you Dan!

I agree with you. Now regarding the class of the medal.

Since he wasn't actively involved in China during the Boxer Rebellion (he was at the time the Executive of the Weapons Department, Imperial Naval Office (11 November 1895-13 July 1904), I think the class would be Stahl (Steel) and not Bronze. Do you agree?

The steel medal was awarded to people contributing to the war effort at home and the sailors of the merchant fleet transporting the soldiers to China.

41 minutes ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Thank you Dan!

I agree with you. Now regarding the class of the medal.

Since he wasn't actively involved in China during the Boxer Rebellion (he was at the time the Executive of the Weapons Department, Imperial Naval Office (11 November 1895-13 July 1904), I think the class would be Stahl (Steel) and not Bronze. Do you agree?

The steel medal was awarded to people contributing to the war effort at home and the sailors of the merchant fleet transporting the soldiers to China.

I think you have answered your own question, not? Most likely bronze if he was not an active participant.

Kind regards, 

Sandro

Correct, that is what I meant. And since these do not appear in the Ranglisten, unless you by chance find a very clear pcciture or other unambiguous documentary evidence, all we can probably do is take an educated guess.

Kind regards,

Sandro

I think you are a very interesting person.  often ask everyone about the medals won by the owners of these old photos. So, there is information showing that Marshal Raidel has been ordered by Ssangyong Baoxing in China, but he has never been seen wearing it?

18 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Perhaps the translation isn't correct?

On October 10, 1898, Raidel was in China and received the third-class and third-class Ssangyong order issued by the Qing Dynasty. But I never saw him wear it. So I want to ask if you know this:P

39 minutes ago, 1812 Overture said:

On October 10, 1898, Raidel was in China and received the third-class and third-class Ssangyong order issued by the Qing Dynasty. But I never saw him wear it. So I want to ask if you know this:P

Oh, you mean Raeder. Yes, he was awarded the Imperial Chinese Order of the Double Dragon 3rd Class, 2nd Grade on 10 October 1898. But I never saw him wear it. Either on the medal bar or ribbon bar. Sorry.