Hi again, sorry that I just duck in to ask questions a lot but my sources are often by forthcoming. Today I’m wondering about swords. Did arzt officer carry them in the pre-war/early-war era? Was there a specific pattern or was it just the infantry sword?

Hello,ViscountnessNiviac . Medical Officers carried sword indeed, The pattern was in Prussia the Model 1889 Degen fur Infanterie Offiziere, It was carried By Doctors, Veterinarians and Administration Officials . In Saxony it was the IOD , Infanterie Offiziere Degen, formerly the 1867 Infanterie Offiziere Degen .In Bavaria the IOS Infanterie Offizier Sabel ,M 1855 . After August of 1915 the Swords or Sabres for Infantry , Doctors etc was not carried more at the Field .instead it was carried a Bayonet with the Swordknot of the Sword or Sabre. 

I can think of only a few examples of swords that were designed specifically for German medical officers.

The first example is the best known example:  the Sword for Medical Officers of the Imperial German Colonial Protection Forces.  This sword (degen) started with a basic M1889 pattern, but the Prussian eagle on the basket-guard was replaced by a big and bold-looking heraldic Imperial Eagle of the Holy Roman Empire, HOWEVER, instead of a pommel cap that looked like the Holy Roman Imperial Crown (i.e. used for the swords of the regular Protection Force officers) a very plain and smooth pommel cap was used for medical officers.  

The second example, or rather examples, come exclusively from Bavaria.  I guess the Bavarians wanted to provide their medical officers with distinctive looking swords.  Instead of trying to describe them, here are two links to just two of the models:

https://www.lotsearch.net/lot/bayern-degen-fuer-einen-militaerarzt-43130850

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/bayern-degen-fuer-sanitaetsbeamte-aus-der-regieru-5020-c-b9c74f0ab0

Medical Sword.jpg

Medical Sword II.jpg

Degen for Military Doctor.jpg

Degen Description.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex
58 minutes ago, Bayern said:

Hello , I dont know Why I thought that Viscountess wants information about Pre and WW1 Arzte .

The Colonial Protection Forces Degen for Medical Officers and the Bavarian Degen for Medical Officers was used right up until 1918.