FRENCH AWARDS IN CANADA AND OTHER LATER ON BRITISH TERRITORIES

Can anyone provide any information on French Honours and Awards ( Titles, ODM etc ) granted in Canada and other territories which later became British during the time that they were under French control before they came under British control?

Hi Numis,

I would say - goggle it !!

Found 2 for you.

Clip.jpg.972747ba516e5b547aeeddbe3a1f7615.jpg

Clip_2.jpg.36f3db83a2662f5e13bccf62275a2255.jpg

Bronze. 76 mm. By H. Roussel. This is an example of the earliest medal produced by any European nation to present to North American Indians to honor or otherwise influence their actions or allegiances. As this has no evidence of a hanger it was unlikely a presented example. Still, as a very early strike it is a very rare medal. Estimated four known.

Marcon1

I mean GOOGLE it 😀

there is. One must be very careful when buying early French medals as from the later part of the 19th century Paris mint restrikes (the early ones are very good) are stamped on the rims OR  ARGENT or BRONZE, some dishonest people hzve been known to skilfully file these off. While the restrikes are collectae, they are worth considerably less

Thank you for the information above 

Does anyone know of any other medals awarded in French territories that later became British ?

Were there any awards of the Royal Orders to persons serving in and persons resident of ?

Numis,

There were awards available to French citizens in the period that you are interested in.  If any were awarded to residents of what is noow Canada is unknown to me.  What existed  of my country in this period was referred to as New France and there doesn't seem to be much information in the Library and Archives Canada on medals awarded in this period but to start your search here is a list of French regiments in New France at that time.  https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/Pages/new-france.aspx There were also militia units raised from the residents of New France.  Sorry that I can not be of more assistance.  I will keep looking for some more answers for you though.

Regards,

Gordon

numis,

I have asked a friend who is a Colonel at the Canadian Military Directorate of History and Heritage about your question and he has responded with an interesting reply as below;

Yes, France awarded the Royal Military Order of St. Louis Aka La Croix de Saint-Louis to recognize distinguished service in New France, to Frenchmen serving here but also to almost 200 ‘Canadiens’ born here. It is mentioned in our 2012 book on the Order of Military Merit, in The early history as an antecedent. There is a book on the topic: ‘La Croix de Saint-Louis en Canada’ by Aegidius Fauteux, 1940. It has a history of the Order, its use here and a list with Brief bio details on about 180 recipients

https://www.emedals.com/a-french-royal-military-order-of-st-louis-knight-s-class 

The above url will take you to the site of emedals a well known Canadian seller of ODMs.  The description of the award on the emedals site is not as good as the one in the DHH 2012 book on the The Order of Military Merit but should be sufficient for your needs.  I have a copy of the DHH 2012 book.  Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Gordon

Thank you for the interesting and much appreciated information

What would certainly be of interest  would be ( re the St Louis ) : (a) number awarded to French serving in Canada  and periods of issue and (b) a breakdown of the circa 180 French Canadian recipients into categories if such is possible  ( this in order to get some idea of who was being rewarded ) 

Also: were  any awards of the Military Merit Order made (a) in Canada and (b) to Canadians ?