I have this photograph in my collection.

On the Backside I read:  "Lt. Ferd. v Heider"  (Leutnant Ferdinand von Heider)

The dealer I bought in from assigned it to Feldartillerie-Regiment „König Karl“ (1. Württembergisches) Nr. 13

In the 1909 ranklist I found a v. Heider in this regiment:

(Side question: What do those letters beside the dates mean?)

image.png.22642aba9eb54f6bdd9700564f8239af.png

In the 1914 ranklist it can be seen he transferred to the Lehr-Regiment of the Feldartellerie-Schießschule

image.png.f2738023a52487e6a69b55365b8b48d0.png

In the Ehrenrangliste from 1926 one can read he was later at Generalstab des OK der Heeresgruppe Gallwitz and ended the war as Hauptmann außer Dienst?

image.png.49dc3743061359c4c4c3e03468c15014.png

I found also another v. Heider in the FAR Nr. 29 who might have been his brother?

image.png.ff4798607666f177f671a2a1cbb83bf0.png

image001.thumb.jpg.35844cd97b0b6d411bc5880c5410b49e.jpgimage002.thumb.jpg.bbc6f71501bd1226fd2e7adc61298859.jpg

Is there any more info that can be found out? I wonder what awards he received during the war and what he did later and if he maybe was reactivated in WW2?

Edited by Utgardloki

Hi,

that does not say Ferd. but KARL.  The letters after the date denote his seniority amongst other officers promoted on the same date. He survived the war, becoming a General Staff Hauptmann.  As can bee seen from this photo from the Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, he was reactivated in WW2.

Regards

Glenn

1034914703_Heidervon.thumb.jpg.bb5fa3add8a5ace31da15158753204c3.jpg

53 minutes ago, Utgardloki said:

(Side question: What do those letters beside the dates mean?)

"Das angegebene Datum ist nicht zwangsweise das Datum der Beförderung, sondern das Rangdienstalter (RDA). Bei guten Leistungen und Beurteilungen konnte das Rangdienstalter nach hinten verschoben werden, z.B. Beförderung am 1.10.1913 mit Rangdienstalter vom 1.4.1913. Damit konnte der nächste Dienstgrad schneller errreicht werden als bei einem am gleichen Tag beförderten Kameraden, bei dem Beförderungsdatum und RDA identisch oder dichter beisammen sind. Bei schlechten Leistungen und Verfehlungen konnte das RDA auch in die andere Richtung verschoben werden, das bedeutete entsprechend spätere Beförderung."

Hans Kling (Zitat v. 1961): "Die Zuteilung der Buchstaben ist sehr alt. Seit 1840 erhielten die beförderten Offiziere (nicht nur die neubeförderten) Buchstaben, die nur in den Dienstalterslisten, nicht aber in den Ranglisten erschienen. In der Rangliste, also bei den Regimentern, erschienen die Buchstaben erstmalig in der Ranglisten 1900. Die Zuteilung, die das Dienstalter der Offiziere gleichen Ranges und gleichen Beförderungstages für alle Waffen, einschließlich der Landgendarmerie regelt, beginnt mit den großen Buchstaben A-Z, dann folgt Aa, Bb, Cc usw. bis Zz. Dann A1a, B1b, C1c usw. Dann A2a, B2b usw. Z1z ist also immer älter als A2a. Infolge dieses Systems erschienen bei den höheren Chargen bis Oberst abwärts fast nur einfache Buchstaben. Bei den übrigen Chargen richtet sich das nach den Beförderungstagen, z.b. 01.10.12 und 01.10.13. Dieses sind die größten Beförderungstage für Majore. Hier gehen die Buchstaben über X10x und K14k hinaus. Die vorpatierten Generalstäbler, Adjutanten erhalten die letzten Buchstaben."

😉 Best regards, Jens

• 4 weeks later...

Great work and thanks for sharing. From the picture, it's clear that this is the right fellow.  However, there was another "Leutnant von Heider" who served with  Ulanen 19, but was temporarily commanded to a minenwerfer unit.  He was wounded on August 5, 1915 and died soon thereafter.  Thanks again. 

On 23/11/2020 at 15:39, Glenn J said:

Hi,

that does not say Ferd. but KARL.  The letters after the date denote his seniority amongst other officers promoted on the same date. He survived the war, becoming a General Staff Hauptmann.  As can bee seen from this photo from the Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg, he was reactivated in WW2.

Regards

Glenn

1034914703_Heidervon.thumb.jpg.bb5fa3add8a5ace31da15158753204c3.jpg

Double underlay Shoulder boards, retired list