News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Heer Reference Book Listing

My goal is to have a sort of mini directory of known reference books that have been proven as valuable in the collecting community. Because my main focus is Luftwaffe, my selection of books pertaining to Uniforms, insignia, and gear of the German Army and SS are very limited.

I will start this thread off with what I have.

Please do add scans of the books you use and recommend as well as provide a brief narrative about the points that make the book stand out to you.

I will start off with the Angolia Series. In my opinion, these books are a must have for any Uniform and insignia collector. It gets very indepth with the various insignia and uniforms that were used. The books are loaded with many black and white photos and a few color photos as well.

The down side of these books is the fact that they are out of print and expensive when found.

• 3 months later...

This book sets a new standard for uniform histories from just about every perspective: organization, uniform official records, design, details and a fabulous collection of uniforms explored in great detail--all in color!

IPB Image

It is available from Bender publishing or directly from the authors.

What a great idea Paul!

I will keep the Angolia's fan club going then.

In the beggining days of my collecting, I found "For Fuhrer and Fatherland" a comprehensive reference guide for medals. Not only does it have what was the criteria for obtaining the different awards, but the dates of inception. Not to mention the LDO list that I have seen many collectors in the forums so interested on. This, in combination with Uniforms & Traditions, helped me immensely in making historically correct displays.

Neil, all I have read about that Waffenrock book is superb. The pics I have seen makes my mouth water, especially at this time when I am in the market for an officer's one. If any of you have one don't hesitate to drop me a line. It can be of any branch that would take an IAB or PAB in Bronze (i.e, medical, infantry in any of its modes...you get the drift). Rank has to have a pip or more (Oberleutnant, Hauptmann, or Obersts). Needs to have loops for a 2 medals bar and 1 or 2 chest badges.

Edited by Panzergrenadier

For soldbuchs, wehrpasses and all the other identity documents, I found "Papers, Please!" by Ray & Josephine Cowdery, a great source of information. It contains picture of the different documentations, what each page was four, and examples of the entries.

For belts and buckles, once again I hitched my wagon to Jack's caravan. It also include the dress belts. It is loaded with pictures, front and back, of the different buckles by armed service and period used. Additionally it contains pics of them in use. You will find out about the different makers marks, how to identify the logos by maker.

Even though much has been written on the subject, no reference library is complete without Gary Wilkins, "The Collectors Guide to Cloth Third Reich Military Headgear". It contains superb color pics, methods of construction and hints on how to make out an original from a reproduction.

If you are just interested on seing first hand the future of reference books, you dont have to look any further than Frank Heukemes book. It is true that the short coming is that it is only for one award. But, at the rate and quality that reproductions are coming into the market, that would be the only way of keeping a step ahead. Frank's ground breaking work has inspired some books that, as far as i know, are in the works with similar approach. I dont know if this would qualify as gear, but I added it for giggles, just in case.

• 2 years later...

Here is my book on the Close Combat Clasp. This was inspired by Frank's great GAB book and was done with the same tenacity and detail, and shows all the variants of each maker of the CCC. Each maker is methodically presented along with every respective variation produced. The seemingly endless variants of the enigmatic A.G.M.u.K. clasp are systematically and completely catalogued as well. Award cases, documents, miniatures and the variants of the elusive Gold Presentation Clasp are also studied and supplemented by many never seen photographs.

Over 310 pages and 875 colour photographs.

• 5 months later...

With today's ever escalating prices it behooves the collector to know all that he can before buying. Tim's and my latest book: BULLS-EYE: German Army Marksmanship Lanyards and Tank Destruction Badges takes on two topics popular and often dangerous. Even the odds and enjoy a good read full of color photos, exciting vignettes, period photos and facts, facts, facts!

Thanks,

Neil & Tim (see: Bulls-Eye Book Information)

Edited by Neil Stewart

• 7 months later...

Tim and I are pleased to offer all GMIC members a discount to celebrate our new website for Tiger III Books: www.tiger3books.com.

Our site sells not just our own books but also books particularly noteworthy for their quality that everyone interested in military history should have.

In addition, we are beginning to add the thousands of photos from our archives to the website for both viewing and for licensing. Whether copies are for personal use or for writers seeking illustrations for their own papers or books, our photos are affordable.

Come tour the site!

Neil Stewart & Tim Curley