IMG_1300.JPG.e7776fc246e45786820537760a8bb43c.JPG

So I purchased five photographs on ebay for my personal collection. I found them to be interesting on-line but when they arrived  was really stumped by them. The five images were all taken in 1912 and the images (an odd oversize cabinet photograph that is very narrow) come from a Berlin photographer. 319242552_IMG_1301(2).JPG.1935c67ddd949305cead7143bdf32b65.JPG

The first mystery is this United States artillery officer!!! What is he doing with this group

1556183967_IMG_1302(1).JPG.17643c0885584b85f13830f4ff830299.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG.353bec4e43168d230dbac0cc76e142bd.JPG843215094_IMG_1304(1).JPG.11659136585e1a1efbb98bf4eeb4a72e.JPG

So I would love to know who they are, where they are from and what they were doing in Berlin that warranted this series of photographs. 

What a great buy you've got there, Wyomingguy!

To add to what Glenn has said, I would bet that the American officer is Capt. Samuel G. Shartle, an artilleryman who was US Military Attache to Berlin at the time. Ulsterman made a good post about him on this very Site,

https://gmic.co.uk/topic/64979-colonel-tamura-okinosuke-a-quiet-bookish-man-in-the-center-of-history/?do=findComment&comment=612527

Further down in that thread, Ulsterman shows the back of a postcard he found on the Internet written by Shartle to his wife and sent on 9 Sept 1910, which shows a number of signatures of fellow military attaches. It is worth visiting the blog post the image came from because most of these names have been deciphered, including that of Pellé, who Glenn identified!

http://postcardparadise.blogspot.com/2011/02/kaisers-military-manoeuvres-elbing.html

I imagine that, with a bit of research into the other names, you should be able to identify all the photos.

Edited by Trooper_D

Peter,

Trooper D has already mentioned captain Schartle. 

The following military attachés to the German Empire were listed in the 1912 edition of the "Gothaischer genealogischer Hofkalender nebst diplomatisch-statistichem Jahrbuch".

USA: Captain S G Shartle
Argentina: Major B B Pertiné
Brazil: Colonel Fr E Jullien
Bulgaria: Major Gantschew
France: Colonel Pellé
Great Britain: Colonel A Russell
Italy: Colonel Count Calderari di Palazzolo
Japan: Lieutenant-Colonel Count Sano
Austria-Hungary: Major Freiherr von Bienerth
Persia: Major Mirza Mehdi-Chan
Rumania: Major L Mircesco
Russia: Major General von Tatischtschew
Sweden: Major Count de Schenfelt
Siam: Lieutenant-Colonel Bhra Songsuradej
Spain: Colonel J Sanchis
Turkey: Major Enver-Bey

I would surmise top to bottom:

Russia
USA
France
Brazil
Spain

Regards

Glenn

3 hours ago, Glenn J said:

The following military attachés to the German Empire were listed in the 1912 edition of the "Gothaischer genealogischer Hofkalender nebst diplomatisch-statistichem Jahrbuch".

Many thanks for pointing us to this resource, Glenn, which I personally was not aware of. I discover that archive.org has a number of volumes - but not 1912, it appears. It does have 1917, though, which might be useful for someone,

https://archive.org/details/gothaischerhofka1917gothuoft/page/n6/mode/1up

Edited by Trooper_D
7 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Peter,

Trooper D has already mentioned captain Schartle. 

USA: Captain S G Shartle
Argentina: Major B B Pertiné
Brazil: Colonel Fr E Jullien
Bulgaria: Major Gantschew
France: Colonel Pellé
Great Britain: Colonel A Russell
Italy: Colonel Count Calderari di Palazzolo
Japan: Lieutenant-Colonel Count Sano
Austria-Hungary: Major Freiherr von Bienerth
Persia: Major Mirza Mehdi-Chan
Rumania: Major L Mircesco
Russia: Major General von Tatischtschew
Sweden: Major Count de Schenfelt
Siam: Lieutenant-Colonel Bhra Songsuradej
Spain: Colonel J Sanchis
Turkey: Major Enver-Bey

I would surmise top to bottom:

Russia
USA
France
Brazil
Spain

Regards

Glenn

Hello, the first is not Russian ,he is Bulgarian Colonel Gantschew . He played a important role during the war as Liaison officer in the German Command