News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hanoverian Waterloo Veteran 1815

ArHo

Hi, I thought you may find this foto interesting. It is taken from Wikipedia and "Gemeinfrei", so there is no reason not to post it here for documentary reasons. According to the accompanying notes this scan of the 1868 dated original photograph, which is luckily in possession of Hoffmann's family, was made by user: Ditero (source).

The picture shows Georg Heinrich Hoffmann (* 24.05.1797 in Lauterberg in the Harz; †05.05.1868 in Hannover). He was a german Mathematician, fireworker, artillerist and teacher as well as a painter and waterworks engineer.

The military career of this gifted and talented man was, in very short: He was educated at the artillery school in Hanover and when Napoleon came back in 1815 he participated in this years well known campaign against the threat. He was cannoneer in an artillery unit and participated in the battle of Waterloo. For this, he received the Hanoverian Waterloo medal. Later, but very likely for all his other successes, he was also made a knight of the Royal Guelphic Order.

Please note the interesting style in which he wears what I strongly believe to be his Hanoverian Waterloo medal under his frock collar!

Cheers

800px-Georg_Heinrich_Hoffmann.jpg

Edited by ArHo