News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greece-War Cross 1940

• 8 months later...

Nice medals! The 1940 War Crosses are quite an unresearched and undocumented field. The two middle ones and the one on the right belong to the only two versions found in all three classes, while the rest are only found in the 3rd class.

The 1940 War Cross was instituted in November 1940 and up until 1942, it could be first awarded in any one of the three classes. So, it is possible that the ones seen in all classes are the earlier ones, possibly struck during wartime and the immediate post-war era, since the demand for those would logically be higher. After 1942, the first award could only be of the 3rd class, upgraded to the next one after three more awards, so the other versions must have been struck later, during the late '40s and early to mid-'50s.

It is also interesting that the ones in the middle belong to the only version which follows the specified dimensions mentioned in the related Royal Decree: 4x4 cm from tip to tip of the cross, with the diameter of the central disk being 1.4 cm. They are also the ones shown on the award documents, irrespective of the medal version accompanying them.

The one on the right also looks like the Gendarmerie versions of 1946, the latter possibly being the date of their manufacture.

The one on the left is attributed to Spink and I believe that it could be a late-'40s or early-'50s issue.

Below, some examples of mine.

Regards,

Giorgos

warcr2_orig.thumb.jpg.dc2a85fd1dbd01ca2a99c64110db6d27.jpg