News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Curious LGSC naming layout?

I also noticed this- not only the placement of 'Const' is unusual (never seen it there), the quality of the impressed letters seems rough. It may be the light or condition of the medal but the impressions seem to be a little rough or 'jagged' on their edges- all others I have seen are a smooth and almost polished look. The earlier cupro-silver or cupro-nickel versions still haved a very smooth naming style while the later rhodium-plated versions are almost mirror-polished.  Have attached images of a rhodium and cupro version for comparison.

Is it possible the ebay offering is an unnamed version acquired by someone and later named, or a dodgy offering?

1951 Pol LSGC DICKINSON naming.JPG

1951 Pol LSGC GRANT naming.JPG

• 4 months later...
    On 12/01/2021 at 09:35, dpk said:

I also noticed this- not only the placement of 'Const' is unusual (never seen it there), the quality of the impressed letters seems rough. It may be the light or condition of the medal but the impressions seem to be a little rough or 'jagged' on their edges- all others I have seen are a smooth and almost polished look. The earlier cupro-silver or cupro-nickel versions still haved a very smooth naming style while the later rhodium-plated versions are almost mirror-polished.  Have attached images of a rhodium and cupro version for comparison.

Is it possible the ebay offering is an unnamed version acquired by someone and later named, or a dodgy offering?

1951 Pol LSGC DICKINSON naming.JPG

I’m wonder now whether this medal was perhaps an Australian Police LSGC issued between 1956-75?

The crude type of engraving being perhaps burr engraving? 

Clive Johnson book Australian's Awarded that this medal could be either impressed when gazetted and issued by the UK but with initials and surname.  He goes on the say more commonly when awarded locally (in Australia) it will be burr engraved with initials surname and sometimes rank.