News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Military family with many 1870 EKs - but what's the name?

Hi all, though I do not know it for sure this may be a father with his sons - if this is true, it may be one of the German military families with most EKs for the war 1870/71. Of course it may also "just" be a meeting of close family members serving in the military, but I somehow like the thought of father and sons. I would date it before 20. May 1871 because none of them wears the Kriegsdenkmünze.

Unfortunately there was no name accompanying the picture. So does perhaps anyone "know" or recognize the "old man" with general's rank to the right?

Happy to hear from you!

ArHo

EK1870s.jpg

4 hours ago, ArHo said:

I would date it before 20. May 1871 because none of them wears the Kriegsdenkmünze.

I wouldn't use the abscence of the Kriegsdenkmünze for dating in this picture. Between 1871 and 1914 we often see soldiers and officers who only wear their EK, leaving out all other decorations, whether they be on a medalbar, pinback or something for around the neck. This being said, the soldier on the left is wearing a small single-piece medalbar with either a medal or a small cross, this could be the cross for Königgratz or the Kriegsdenkmünze. Would you happen to have an enlargedment of this soldier? That might help us.

Kind regards, Laurentius