News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lettering and inscription on the Order of St Sava

Greetings!

I would greatly appreciate if someone more experienced could please help me authenticate and/or identify the medal in the photos.

This is supposed to be St. Sava 4th Class, possibly made by Huguenin. It confuses me that the Cyrillic letter 'P' in the fourth word looks like a square (☐ instead of Π). In addition, letters V and M in the first word look different than in most other variants. Does this raise a red flag about the authenticity? Anyone seen this before? 

Front: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4g4u2cont5lp5ng/DSC_1302.JPG?dl=0
    Back: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbohlcipx8n3sxk/DSC_1305.JPG?dl=0 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Zoran

Edited by Terra Borealis

Hi Zoran, 

looks like nice original Huguenin piece.

(its better to attach photos directly to the forum since dropbox photos have a tendency to disappear after while).

FzrxsSoL.jpeg

oRwnQOjz.jpeg

;) 

23.thumb.jpg.0e5b613629886c1fd1766217b6769b9a.jpg

Source.

9783902526267_L.thumb.jpg.2985253199387e0ac5c72d817055a964.jpg

Best,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Thank you very much Nick! 

I appreciate you embedding my photos... I'll do it next time for sure. 

That 5th Class you posted looks identical to my 4th Class, except the latter is gilded (though it's staring to wear off). 

Regarding the enamel centerpiece, I wonder why they differ so much from item to item. Were they each painted by hand, or created using some mass producing method? 

Thanks,

Zoran

The useful table posted by Japan X provides a nearly complete guide to manufacturers & portrait styles.  A number of references describe portraits associated with individual manufacturers, besides the one illustrated.  The Order of Saint Sava, a paperback pamphlet published in January, 1971 by Philip Meyn Weber, is another though without colored illustrations.  

Some centers are hand-painted, some are hand embellished transfers, and late ones may be transfers 

12 hours ago, 922F said:

The useful table posted by Japan X provides a nearly complete guide to manufacturers & portrait styles.  A number of references describe portraits associated with individual manufacturers, besides the one illustrated.  The Order of Saint Sava, a paperback pamphlet published in January, 1971 by Philip Meyn Weber, is another though without colored illustrations.  

Some centers are hand-painted, some are hand embellished transfers, and late ones may be transfers 

Thank you!