News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bloody Civvies! ... I imagine these guys feel a bit irritated....

Nice picture. Reminds me of the first battle of Bull Run during the American Civil War, when the civvies turned up from Washington D.C. to supposedly see a Union victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by graham

The pic remember me of the many caricatures made by Koch Gotha, Eduard Thony and Olaf Gulbransonn about the Prusian German military mainly , Manoeuvres were one favorite subject and.. civilians attending and critisizing inclusive. a mottley bunch . as the pic shows . 

hahaha that's so true, I had a similar experience when I was at the army and out in the maneuver, when two old farmers where joking about us, while we were doing change of employment with our machine gun, that the russian would have killed us all, if we would have been in russia during WW2. 

1 hour ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

hahaha that's so true, I had a similar experience when I was at the army and out in the maneuver, when two old farmers where joking about us, while we were doing change of employment with our machine gun, that the russian would have killed us all, if we would have been in russia during WW2. 

Yes, I recall similar experiences during my peacetime service - but hey, at least I never had to go to real war, so I never had a problem with them jokes being on me ?

It is interesting to note that the (quite young) men at the left wears an apron so he seems to have taken a break from work to go and look...

BTW: I just finished reading - again - "Manöver im Herbst" (Maneuver in autumn) by Konsalik. It is still very helpful if one seeks to try to understand a little bit what motivated men in these days.

All the best

ArHo

Edited by ArHo

5 hours ago, ArHo said:

Yes, I recall similar experiences during my peacetime service - but hey, at least I never had to go to real war, so I never had a problem with them jokes being on me ?

It is interesting to note that the (quite young) men at the left wears an apron so he seems to have taken a break from work to go and look...

BTW: I just finished reading - again - "Manöver im Herbst" (Maneuver in autumn) by Konsalik. It is still very helpful if one seeks to try to understand a little bit what motivated men in these days.

All the best

ArHo

You are a clever man ArHo, Perhaps the young apprentice with the apron observes and think about join the soldiers. the Herbst Manovern were a very important part of Germany national Live . In these Exercises at great scale (usually Army Corps )not only the Regiments and Bataillons coordinated their action ,Maneuvers were the ocassion for the German People to see by his own eyes what the Army had done with the taxes. Incidentally the Maneuvers were a source of extra income for the City or Population were the exercises were held. not to speak when they happened to be Kaiser Manover . thats was the golden fleece, 

There is one thing I know 100% what is going on. from personal experience... the woman with the huge hat is saying to her husband "I met you when you were a soldier... you did not have that bloody big belly back then..."

And the kid is thinking "I want to be a machine gunner!"

And the woman on the bike thinks "I want a machine gunner!"