News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Adolph Freiherr Knigge

BlackcowboyBS

During the research for my upcoming book on the Orders and Medals of Hannover I stumbled upon this painting from Freiherr Knigge (1752 - 1796) who was born near Hannover and died in Bremen. It shows him in the uniform of the Hannovarian Knighthood. On his breast we can see a white enameld cross with a crown and a blue medaillon. The cross seems to be made from gold. The ribbon is black with two white stripes. My first thought was that this cross has some similarity to the Hohenlohe order of the golden flame or Phoenix order, but this one is quite different. 

Does anybody has any clue what this cross might be? I know that Freiherr Knigge was a member of the Freimaurer and the Illuminati for a shot time, could it be one of their orders? Every help on this one would be appreciated. 

adolphfreiherrknigge.png

The colour of the ribbon seems dark blue. Would that point to a certain state? And wouldn´t his medals be listed in the Hannoversches Staatshandbuch or Kalender?

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Hello GreyC,

to my knowledge you don't find the orders in the Königl Groß-Britannisch und Chur-Fürstlich Braunschweig-Lüneburgisch Staatskalender, because it was not usual to do so in the 18th century. In the Kgl Hannovarian Staatskalender after 1815 you will find them, but even if Knigge  had an official function as Oberhauptmann from 1790 on,  you won't find him  in these documents.

Edited by BlackcowboyBS
    typo

Interesting. The only Staatskalender I have is from 1834, as ancestors worked for the state at that time. I thought he might have been listed in his capacity as Ritter with his Gut. But the 18th century is a bit early for me, so thanks for filling me in.

GreYC

22 hours ago, GreyC said:

The colour of the ribbon seems dark blue. Would that point to a certain state? And wouldn´t his medals be listed in the Hannoversches Staatshandbuch or Kalender?

GreyC

Hi Graham,

you have been right about the ribbon, it is dark blue not black, as I have stated. I found an old placard from an exhibition in Hannover showing it much better. I am pretty convinced that this is not an official order but a bijou from a lodge. So does anyone has any clue? 

Knigge-Orden.jpg

The state I live in has a museum that holds a fine collection of almost all medals state and privately issued from that state and the department is led by a very knowledable guy who helped me once with aquery. Maybe the city museum of Hannover has something similar?

GreyC (but you may call me Graham ?

Edited by GreyC