The man portrayed has no badges of rank , but he wears a clean cut uniform and strange high boots with three side straps . apart he wears the black badge for woundeds  disposed by William II the 3 rd of March 1918 , he dont carry the Bavarian Borte on the collar , to me is a after W ar photo

4 hours ago, Bayern said:

The man portrayed has no badges of rank , but he wears a clean cut uniform and strange high boots with three side straps . apart he wears the black badge for woundeds  disposed by William II the 3 rd of March 1918 , he dont carry the Bavarian Borte on the collar , to me is a after W ar photo

The Aschinger Borte is not an issue, many Bavarians did not have it, the point is, this is the Prussian style cuff on the simplified Feldrock, not Bavarian Style Cuff.

Of course, everyone had this cuff on the Bluse later... but unusual on a Bavarian Feldrock.

The Photo is obviously from after the introduction of the Wound badge, but no way of telling if it was postwar or last months of the war

For me he is Bavarian, as he wears the Bavarian medal in front of the EKII. If he wears a Prussian simplified Feldrock I can´t say.The Aschinger Borte or Bayerische (Kennzeichen)borte was introduced on 31.03.1916. On 10.12.1917 the Borte was shortened.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC
3 hours ago, GreyC said:

For me he is Bavarian, as he wears the Bavarian medal in front of the EKII. If he wears a Prussian simplified Feldrock I can´t say.The Aschinger Borte or Bayerische (Kennzeichen)borte was introduced on 31.03.1916. On 10.12.1917 the Borte was shortened.

GreyC

Hi

definitely a Bavarian... The Aschinger Borte is of no use for dating pics... Only thing we can tell if a pic is not before that date... but after that date many men never wore it....

These folded back cuffs were on the bluse for all troops.... but at the outbreak of the war the Prussians had them for a while on their vereinfachte Rock... the Bavarian's had a vereinfachte Rock as well, but with a small cuff.... every now and then you see a Bavarian wearing a Prussian version... occasionally even vice versa... I suppose it depends if a unit had to get imaginative in organising ersatz uniforms while in a Prussian controlled area. I saw a pic of a Prussian in the Alpenkorps wearing a Bavarian one.... Pic 1 simplified bavarian cuff, pic 2 Simplified Prussian Rock and for the Bluse and Aschinger worn only by one of the threed1.jpg.aa0415f59b196a09e98a03af7ddb8151.jpgd1a.thumb.jpg.0ad9e386c9cae5dbbeb84ad7a4ad0231.jpgd1b.thumb.jpg.e3cbb6fb6c84b5176ac82077dba01da5.jpg

8 hours ago, Bayern said:

Well, Bavarian with vereinfachte Prussian rock with no Eschinger Borte ,last months of the War but, what about the rare boots ? 

I must check the photo closlely at home.. am not sure if they are boots or shoes with leather gamaschen... as many were privately purchased there is a huuuuge array of variation... and as they were procudes for close on 100 years, there is little chance of dating Gamaschen.

All th ebest

Chris

I had a look... on the photo it is not clear if they are shoes with Gamaschen, or a shoe like boot with built in Gamaschen. I have seen similar things before in studio photo. There are many combinations of civilian shoes and Gamaschen that seem to have been tolerated, at least unofficially. There is a pair very similar looking on german ebay at the moment.