News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Award certificate from Brunswick Infantery Regiment 92 for the Iron Cross 2. class

In issue 2 of the Iron Cross Magazine of 2019 there is a beautifully designed certificate on page 36 about the award of the Iron Cross 2nd Class to Lieutenant and Regimental Adjutant Günter Freiherr Grote. I have now found the same certificate in a magazine from 1919 and have scanned it for you.

I have found out the following about the certificate and the bearer:

The certificate was designed and drawn by Günther Clausen from Braunschweig, printed by the company E. Appelhans & Comp. (formerly Rud. Stolle & Gust. Rothelieb) also located in Braunschweig. The certificate has the dimensions of 25 x 27 cm.

Lieutenant Freiherr Grote (not to be confused with the wing adjutant of Duke Ernst August) was awarded the following decorations in WWI:

- Iron Cross 2nd Class

- Iron Cross 1st Class

- Brunswick War Merit Cross 2nd Class

- Brunswick Cross of War Merit 1st Class

- Mecklenburg-Strelitz Cross for Distinguished Service in War 2nd Class

There is an award of a Cross 4th Class HdL to Baron Hans Joachim Grote from 1909 (also a lieutenant in IR 92), but none to Günter Baron Grote. However, the two were probably related.

Since Günter Freiherr Grote was severely wounded on March 21, 1918, and succumbed to his injuries on April 6, 1918, his award of the Braunschweig KvK 1 must have been one of the very first. It is very doubtful whether he received the award at all. I would still like to show you his photo,

At least I don't know of any other EK2 certificate for IR 92 from Braunschweig designed in this way, do any of you know of any other examples?

Urkunde EK2 BS 92 IR vk.jpg

Ltn Freiherr Grote.jpg

• 1 year later...

just an actual warning to the community out there: There is at least one copied document of this certificate out on the marked. It was scanned from the magazin from 1919 and printed on a high professional color printer. So check it out, if some one wants to sell this one to you.

I am sorry, but I can't tell where the original of this certificate is, because I truly don't know it.