Is it a Cast? And what should KMS1 with the "1" mirror inverted should be? I have never seen this as a makers mark before, I am not an expert for Iron Crosses but I wouldn't buy it. Lets see what the experts say. 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

I think these are usually the highest level of desirability... but the lettering bothers me.... did they also stamp the name in? All the KMST I had (grand total of 2 ) had raised lettering, not stamped in?

Like this one.....

It may be a variation I do not know, but I would be weary....

14 minutes ago, Eric Stahlhut said:

Chris, you did not do a deep enough search on gmic, there have been plenty of these posted in the past...

...I'll take as many of these as I can get in any kind of fastener configuration!

I retract then... I did not know the name was also stamped in... 🙂

I probably don't actually have anything useful to add to this thread but hell, I'll still add it. I love the EK because of it's elegant simplicity and I think it is one of the reasons it's image has kept a fascination even in modern society. I have 4 EK's but they are all of way simpler minds and less costly because as a business owner I can not rationalize spending to much on a "hobby" sadly. 

But to the point... the above is probably the most elegant fastening system I've ever seen on an EK. I did not know the maker or the sheer beauty of the "back" of this type of EK1. So thank you guys for showing that not only the front is stunning but that sometimes the back is even better.

The textured finish to the reverse of the cross and on the mousetrap look odd

to me.  It's almost like they have been sand blasted but that might very well just

be an effect of the lighting in the photo.  

As for the details of the cross itself,  everything looks spot on. Also, I would

trust Eric's opinion on these as I think he has handled mor KMST crosses that anyone

I can think of. 

hiya greg, hope all is well!

about the cast appearance that both you and blackcowboybs brought up--it's the original finish!

these crosses had some type of phosphate/? layer put on over the frames in order to protect from tarnishing and also increase wear resistance. the casted appearance comes from bead blasting before the "parkerization-type" chemical bath, producing a surface that is irregular on a microscopic scale.

below is an example that has not aged as gracefully as jonas' example, but still has the original finish intact. please note  a wear spot to the right of the catch assembly where the base metal of the silver frame is showing

sorta like the rhodium 'frosting' on ww2-era pieces

20210214_092649.thumb.jpg.69d89f305587634bee235db263c23ceb.jpg

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

Thank you for all the input. I bought it on an auction because I wanted an Iron Cross. I normally collect Swedish orders and medals so it was kind of a gamble to buy it as I have little knowledge about Iron Crosses.

1 hour ago, Jonas E said:

Thank you for all the input. I bought it on an auction because I wanted an Iron Cross. I normally collect Swedish orders and medals so it was kind of a gamble to buy it as I have little knowledge about Iron Crosses.

It looks like you are the guy who bought one Lottery ticket in life and hit the jackpot... I may be missing out on other variants... but now the originality is cleared... I think this may be one of the top 2 or 3 Iron Cross variations out there?