A Godet '14 Ek1 with 'a little extra'

hi, here's something that i haven't looked at for many years; i may not have even posted it on this forum.

if you were to see this at a show or displayed in a store it would be very easy to overlook the most important features of this particular cross:

it's in one of those cloth tape, buttonless styles of case

20210222_111322.thumb.jpg.db5417783b170cdbbf4b76f28b52b578.jpg

you know, the type with the blue velvet raised dais--

20210222_111439.thumb.jpg.cdd0c960a07ae86000a029d362490fbb.jpg

take it out, inspect the godet style core, looks like a nicely worn example

20210222_111558.thumb.jpg.fd756cc128e1475ce2ffe1834728708e.jpg  

flip it over, and yup! godet

20210222_111632.thumb.jpg.6c732203574b0c2bc56e08a2d6d19c96.jpg

but then as you are fiddling with it, you notice that in the shifting light there seems to be something else other than the G on the pin, so you look at it real close at just the right angle

!!!

20210222_111748.thumb.jpg.9b6eac2b55942d7b3b86da4abc614815.jpg

then you look at the back of the pin to look for a control stamp or something up near the hinge, but you notice some faint scratches and you have to REALLY get the angle just right

20210222_111911.thumb.jpg.d96b0e9061a51f91b3e66a75f3416266.jpg

to me it reads  "f. richter,  .1.???"

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

1 hour ago, Utgardloki said:

It could be "F. Richter, 1. Klasse", but that's pure speculation 

it could  be, but in my experience these hand-etched markings done by the owner with whatever sharp object is handy usually denote the unit or the date that the cross was earned. i probably missed the rest

i'll mess with it some more in hopes of finding and capturing an image of the minute chicken scratches when i get a chance. i have to find a loupe first, as my eyes no longer work so well on macro mode, lol

struggling to get a clear image, i am reluctant to clean the pin, but ultimately that might be my only option--

there is a full word in there, to me it looks like " f. richter, 1. F(or R)????e?."

20210224_104156.thumb.jpg.1fa6a00085c0916840fb624fa2f2faf7.jpg

20210224_103955.thumb.jpg.c698b67f860ad685ca31deeb1c6f5442.jpg

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

Really nice cross from Godet. I've never seen any Iron Cross stamped with the crown and moon stamp.  I though that was something that jeweler's had stopped using during the First World War with so many crosses being produced and awarded.

chuck 

2 hours ago, chuck said:

Really nice cross from Godet. I've never seen any Iron Cross stamped with the crown and moon stamp.  I though that was something that jeweler's had stopped using during the First World War with so many crosses being produced and awarded.

chuck 

thanks, chuck

here's a link to some more crown and moon marked crosses. this time the hallmarks are incused

i  have not yet identified the maker

• 5 months later...