News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Godet '14 Ek1 with 'a little extra'

hi, here's something that i haven't looked at for many years; i may not have even posted it on this forum.

if you were to see this at a show or displayed in a store it would be very easy to overlook the most important features of this particular cross:

it's in one of those cloth tape, buttonless styles of case

20210222_111322.thumb.jpg.db5417783b170cdbbf4b76f28b52b578.jpg

you know, the type with the blue velvet raised dais--

20210222_111439.thumb.jpg.cdd0c960a07ae86000a029d362490fbb.jpg

take it out, inspect the godet style core, looks like a nicely worn example

20210222_111558.thumb.jpg.fd756cc128e1475ce2ffe1834728708e.jpg  

flip it over, and yup! godet

20210222_111632.thumb.jpg.6c732203574b0c2bc56e08a2d6d19c96.jpg

but then as you are fiddling with it, you notice that in the shifting light there seems to be something else other than the G on the pin, so you look at it real close at just the right angle

!!!

20210222_111748.thumb.jpg.9b6eac2b55942d7b3b86da4abc614815.jpg

then you look at the back of the pin to look for a control stamp or something up near the hinge, but you notice some faint scratches and you have to REALLY get the angle just right

20210222_111911.thumb.jpg.d96b0e9061a51f91b3e66a75f3416266.jpg

to me it reads  "f. richter,  .1.???"

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

1 hour ago, Utgardloki said:

It could be "F. Richter, 1. Klasse", but that's pure speculation 

it could  be, but in my experience these hand-etched markings done by the owner with whatever sharp object is handy usually denote the unit or the date that the cross was earned. i probably missed the rest

i'll mess with it some more in hopes of finding and capturing an image of the minute chicken scratches when i get a chance. i have to find a loupe first, as my eyes no longer work so well on macro mode, lol

Really nice cross from Godet. I've never seen any Iron Cross stamped with the crown and moon stamp.  I though that was something that jeweler's had stopped using during the First World War with so many crosses being produced and awarded.

chuck 

2 hours ago, chuck said:

Really nice cross from Godet. I've never seen any Iron Cross stamped with the crown and moon stamp.  I though that was something that jeweler's had stopped using during the First World War with so many crosses being produced and awarded.

chuck 

thanks, chuck

here's a link to some more crown and moon marked crosses. this time the hallmarks are incused

i  have not yet identified the maker

• 5 months later...