News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Italian Crown

Dear fellow collectors,

I received this lovely Order of the Italian Crown today. It comes with a box, a miniature and a buttonhole-decoration. On the lid is a small metal plaque with the name of the recipient and the date of the award. His name was Emilio Sabelli and an Italian friend of mine told me he was civil engineer who worked in a shipyard. He was awarded the order in february of 1932 in the tenth year (A.X.) of Fascist Italy. Is there any more info on Emilio Sabelli? Did he receive more decorations during his career? I would also like to know from what kind of material the medal is made, since it isn't marked.

Kind regards and thanks in advance, Laurentius

IMG-20210224-WA0039.jpg

IMG-20210224-WA0038.jpg

IMG-20210224-WA0037.jpg

IMG-20210224-WA0029.jpg

Probably gold badge if relatively light weight, otherwise silver gilt with maybe gold centers.

Gazzetta Ufficiale del Regno d'Italia N. 131 del 8 Giugno 1932

Sabelli ing. Emilio, capo ufficio progetti del Cantiere San Marco

[Sabelli engineer Emilio, head of the projects office of the San Marco shipyard]

Likely employed at Stabilimento Tecnico Triestino.  Originally an Austro-Hungarian yard mainly building warships.  Post WW I to Italian ownership building naval and commercial ships.   Sabelli's award perhaps connected to 1932  launch of famous Italian liner SS Conte di Savoia.

Transatlantico_Conte_di_Savoia.jpg

10 minutes ago, 922F said:

Probably gold badge if relatively light weight

It is very light, almost like holding a feather. I compared it's weight to other decorations of similar size which weight much heavier. Thank you kindly for your response.

Kind regards, Laurentius

11 minutes ago, laurentius said:

I compared it's weight to other decorations of similar size which weight much heavier.

My (rather unprecise) kitchenscale gives 9 grams as the weight for my Order of the Italian Crown, whereas my Order of St. Gregory the Great (of roughly the same size, marked 'A' for silver) weighs 23 grams.

3 hours ago, 1812 Overture said:

Dear Mr. Laurentius, are you not buying German medals and orders anymore?

I still do, but sometimes the beauty of these non-German decorations pull me away from Germany. It was a permissible addition to my collection, given the many Germans who received this order between it's founding and the end of the Italian monarchy. In the end we collectors are like magpies, we are distracted by everything shiny.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Hi Laurentius

I used to collect the Italy Order of the Crown, however i cleared most of the.

I have only two  left

From my experience most of the gold crosses are not marked Only if they are in silver they have mark 925 on the ring loop or on the side of the cross

The construction is very light Actually the only metal is the gold/silver strip covering the edges and the wire and of course the central medallion ( they are also very thin)

They are small numbers of crosses wit a bit thicker construction however the gold is not much as for tother orders in Gold

Here are my items

Small Group of the Grand Cross supposedly  awarded to the Bulgarian general Draganoff

and Commander in Gold in a very nice luxury box with minatures

01.7.jpg

7.jpg

7a.jpg

General Draganof retired front.jpg

General Draganoff retired.jpg

Italy OKclose.JPG

• 5 months later...
    • 2 months later...

A question about the Order of the Italian Crown recipients: are there resources (both on and off-line) available for non-italian people bestowed with this order?

I'm trying to track a belgian recipient in the 1930s...

Thanks in advance,

GM1