Brexit and the mail....

Without going into discussions about the pros and cons of Brexit....

I finally received a copy of Issue 7 today... third time lucky. Twice Magazines were sent from England and never made it, then I ordered one from Scotland and it made it through customs...

Anyone else have similar problems with items from the UK? or in the other direction?

I have ordered the same issue of the IC Magazine and it came through without any troubles. It took roughly two weeks. So all went well.

I am thinking of buying an expensive book from 18xx, besides the price I am not sure about shipping and customs, so I hesitate to order it, because if something went wrong with that it would be embarrsing and costly! 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

International mail is slower to arrive in the UK it seems at the moment. I bought a low value item from the US and it took weeks to arrive (no VAT or customs charges due) but it was sent by USPS which is expensive and slow. 

Depends how things are posted. You are better off using a fast parcel service like UPS or Fedex for expensive items other than the post, more reliable and VAT and customs can be pre arranged.

People importing stuff to the UK are getting caught out by VAT and customs charges on EU goods. I am surprised you have had issues with a magazine though, as that is not really going to attract VAT or customs duties. Do you think it is more the photo content of the magazine with WW2 stuff maybe falling foul of German laws ?

1 hour ago, Nick said:

International mail is slower to arrive in the UK it seems at the moment. I bought a low value item from the US and it took weeks to arrive (no VAT or customs charges due) but it was sent by USPS which is expensive and slow. 

Depends how things are posted. You are better off using a fast parcel service like UPS or Fedex for expensive items other than the post, more reliable and VAT and customs can be pre arranged.

People importing stuff to the UK are getting caught out by VAT and customs charges on EU goods. I am surprised you have had issues with a magazine though, as that is not really going to attract VAT or customs duties. Do you think it is more the photo content of the magazine with WW2 stuff maybe falling foul of German laws ?

I dunno, usually they would not check the contents... I am just wondering if somewhere out there there is a huge number of containers filled with mail.... the one that did make it through actually had a customs label on it from the book shop... maybe the customs pulls out anything missing the label?

for what it's worth, i don't think the problem is solely relegated to the UK or to national post offices. i'm still waiting for something from kuenker that was sent to the US on december 10th via DHL. it hasn't even made it to the US yet!

....investigation was recently begun, which takes 3 or 4 weeks....😟

Yes that will be the issue, has to have a customs declaration now from UK to EU so if it was missing will either get seized or if lucky sent back.

No point in complaining - you English wanted to leave, now live with the consequences.

Edited by Marcon1
36 minutes ago, Marcon1 said:

No point in complaining - you English wanted to leave, now live with the consequences.

This isn't really a fair point to make. Many Brits did not want to leave or people were expecting their government to negotiate a smooth transition. Like me in the USA I do not always agree with who is in power and so you can't really "blame" me for other Americans voting against my (or our) best interest. 

There is nothing wrong with being annoyed that suddenly mail takes 5 times as long...  

Edited by OvBacon

Just weeks ! You're lucky!

I had medals mailed to me from Europe (to New Zealand), usually 2 -3 weeks.

They arrived last month - mailed in March 2020!!!!!! No explanation but according to NZ Post arrived in country just days before local delivery. So much for "tracking" - European website went unchanged from time leaving the local Post Office!!!

G.

12 hours ago, Marcon1 said:

Ummm... nope... that is wrong... I live in Germany... we all live with the consequences

10 hours ago, gongz said:

Just weeks ! You're lucky!

I had medals mailed to me from Europe (to New Zealand), usually 2 -3 weeks.

They arrived last month - mailed in March 2020!!!!!! No explanation but according to NZ Post arrived in country just days before local delivery. So much for "tracking" - European website went unchanged from time leaving the local Post Office!!!

G.

I had a helmet sent to NZ, took 6 months... apparently it gets pooled in asia somewhere before being forwarded.... and this was WAAAAY before covid.

With Covid, to the USA ond overseas, due to the fact there are way fewer planes, the German postoffice offers premium airmail, or regular... premium costs eur100 and is basically the same service that regular was for EUR40 before covid... regular now goes by ship.

• Blog Comments

• Sounds great other than the Orange & Mango squash only because I prefer cran-pomegranate juice.
    • "(...) disgusting herbal concoction (...)" I took note of this description, to enrich my otherwise limited, English "Wortschatz"...
    • At work the standard indian tea such as PG tips is referred to as chimp tea. This goes back to the days when we had a Spanish girl working for us whose command of the English language was extremely limited. One lunch she said she was going to the shop could she get anything. I asked if she could get a pack of tea bags. She returned with some disgusting herbal concoction. I tried to explain what was required but without success. I then remembered PG tips had a picture of a chimpanzee on the packe
    • When I read Lapsang Souchong i decided to post something about these Tea . Many years ago I dont  know about Lapsang until I read James Michener book Centennial and the description of the savour of the Lapasang as a mix of tar and salt & smoked made me proof . It was exact ! and i liked it since then .
    • I have been known to drink Lapsang Souchong and Tea, Earl Grey, Hot... both "without pollutants". I normally have one mug of coffee in the morning, then spend the rest of the day drinking Orange & Mango squash (by the pint). Then evening comes and it's a pint, followed by red wine with dinner and sometimes a drop of Laphroaig afterwards.