News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian victory medal real or fake

Hello i bought a Romanian victory medal from a seller on Ebay who said it was bought by him as a genuine medal from a dealers auction and was an unofficial version made in France.

I would like other peoples opinion on this medal as it does not look like any of the examples I have seen on this section of the forum.

I would like to post pictures but I am unsure of how to do this, can anyone explain in simple terms how I can upload the pictures.

Thank you

Frank

Thank you for your reply Graham. Am I correct in thinking that you mean it is a Fake as the seller said it was an 'Unoficial type 1' medal. I have looked at the type 1 versions shown on the forum and I can see some diferances especially around the neck and head. The thickness of the axe shaft on the reverse is also suspect.

Thanks for your thoughts.

romanian front.jpg

frankguzzi, there are a number of differences between the one you have posted and an 'Unofficial Type 1'. As you have correctly stated the head and neck being a couple of the clearest. There are also a number of other differences(the right foot, the right forefinger and the clothing around the chest to name a few). Sorry, but I do not believe it to be an 'Unofficial Type 1" or any other 'Unofficial' medal I have seen. 

• 5 months later...

Hello frankguzzi,

To echo and add to Graham's commets; no it is not an unofficial type 1 (Laslo classification).

It is close in appearance to the unofficial type 1 but it is not the same. The give-away is the base metal that has a very dark chocolate brown appearance. The entire vic series was produced from this poor quality base metal in the early to mid 1980-1990 period and are commonly sold on ebay like platforms.

In particular to this specific romanian example there are a number of well identifiable casting bubbles on the lower 6 o'clock position the obverse near the feet. You may also want to check the rim of the medal for a casting line.

Regards from Australia,

Rob

To the mods,

It would probably better if this thread was moved into the main Romanian vic thread to keep everything in the one location.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW
    Image removal