News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What if the picture shows a 2nd class cross with swords and crown rather than a 1st class with swords and crown? The second class had a larger pool of recipients and they can hardly be distinguished in black-and-white pictures. It is not uncommon for more common awards to be switched out for rarer ones. This would explain why the name Kalbe isn't mentioned in the lists and the 'mysterious' origin of the cross on the bar.

Kind regards, Laurentius

17 hours ago, Schießplatzmeister said:

Hello,

If I am not mistaken, this grouping was for sale on Ebay recently.  And, if I recall correctly, the seller mentioned that the missing pieces had been "replaced".  But, my memory may not serve me correctly.  It is obvious to me that the group did belong to the NCO in the first photo.  At some point however the awards at the 2nd and 3rd positions on the group were removed.  The pieces in the 2nd and 3rd positions now may never have been awarded to the NCO in the photo who was the owner of the group.

Regardless of the two pieces in question, it is a very nice group with an interesting history.  Congratulations on acquiring it.

Best regards,

Hi there,

Yes, the Mecklenburg Schwerin piece was a replacement (got lost at some time). 

The MVO was still attached to a piece of ribbon, but had become detached at some point. 

Thank very much :)

17 hours ago, laurentius said:

What if the picture shows a 2nd class cross with swords and crown rather than a 1st class with swords and crown? The second class had a larger pool of recipients and they can hardly be distinguished in black-and-white pictures. It is not uncommon for more common awards to be switched out for rarer ones. This would explain why the name Kalbe isn't mentioned in the lists and the 'mysterious' origin of the cross on the bar.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Quite the possibility!

Her is the MVK photo from the auction.

6A504CD9-9C8C-40E8-8504-0516008D1158.png

The description.

9B06AFCE-8F0D-4F97-B14E-4AD420C32932.png

There does not seem to be a ribbon loop in the photo so that detail matches. Was it ever fashion in Bavaria to have medals guilted? I can’t tell you how many gold FAM’s I have from or have seen from Saxony and I’m sure they are all awarded as bronzes.