News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Maximilian, Margrave of Baden, Duke of Zähringen

Dear fellow collectors,

I came across this picture of Margrave Maximilian. He is wearing the grandcross with sash of the House order of Fidelity (Hausorden der Treue). Around his neck he wears the Order of Berthold I. (it is a grandcross worn around the neck, as we can see from the suspension-ring). On his breast are three contemporary German decorations: a decoration from the Red Cross, a decoration from the German fire brigade and a decoration (if I'm not mistaken) for bravery. Contemporary German decorations are not really up my alley so if I made any mistakes I would like to hear it. Do we know why he recieved these decorations?

Kind regards, Laurentius

Screenshot_2021-03-07-13-30-25-1.png

Hey Laurentius,

it is a great photo, but I doubt that Markgraf Maximillian von Baden recieved the Badge of Honor of the Bundeswehr for Bravery, he is colonel of the reserve and I expect him to have recieved the Badge of Honor for exemplary and meritorious service over 20 years.  

I love that he wears the grand cross of Berthold I. en sautoir 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

1 hour ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

but I doubt that Markgraf Maximillian von Baden recieved the Badge of Honor of the Bundeswehr for Bravery

Exactly my point, where could he possible have seen active combat service?

1 hour ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

I love that he wears the grand cross of Berthold I. en sautoir 

I always wonder where the current members of former ruling houses get their decorations. Do they re-use pieces from their ancestors or do they have a jeweller they go to? Hofleveranzier Hemmerle still exists for the Bavarian royal family but Godet, often used by the Hohenzollerns is gone.

Kind regards, Laurentius

36 minutes ago, laurentius said:

Exactly my point, where could he possible have seen active combat service?

That's why I say, that he wears the  Badge of Honor for exemplary and meritorious service over 20 years, this looks very much the same like the one for bravery, so he is not wearing the cross for bravery but for long time services as an officier of the reserve. 

Hemmerle doesn't have the original dies anymore they are gone, so I can't give you an answer on this one, maybe Henning Volle, the author of the book on orders of Baden knows the answer. 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

45 minutes ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

Hemmerle doesn't have the original dies anymore they are gone, so I can't give you an answer on this one, maybe Henning Volle, the author of the book on orders of Baden knows the answer. 

I think they do. I occassionally come across something from Hemmerle (jewelry and such) and the firm recently made some honours with original dies if I'm not mistaken, to celebrate their anniversary.

I got this off their website, it's a picture from 2018, but it shows several dies and mint decorations. I am not aware if they were made recently or if they are pieces which were never delivered to the Royal Bavarian Ordenskanzlei. Here is a link: https://hemmerle.com/projects/hidden-treasures/

Kind regards, Laurentius

hemmerle_hidden_treasures_impression1 (1).jpg

When it comes to over 125 years of business three years is almost neglibible, I don't think much has changed within the company over that span of time. Nor am I willing to believe they would easily discard of historical dies worth their weight in gold. They can still be used in production, whether for jewelry or actual orders and otherwise they would fetch huge prices in auctions. Collectors and fakers alike would kill for these dies. It's a good thing they remain with the firm. Maybe a few princes would agree with me. ;)

Kind regards, Laurentius