Clip.jpg.313fc95cd715696ddd6632f955e3bf70.jpg

Hi,

The above item was offered to me as a rare pin belonging to a pilot of the Messerschmitt Me 262, nicknamed Schwalbe (German: "Swallow") in fighter versions.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Marcon1.

The cross itself is known as a Kruckenkreuz which, during the Austrian 1st Republic, was the symbol of right-wing Austrian fascists.  It was also the basis for the design of the Austrian Merit Order in 1934.  So I'm not sure why a Kruckenkreuz would be a relevant or appropriate symbol for a Messerschmitt pilot. 

Also, the swallow brings back memories from my youth.  Our church on Easter Sunday had banners and posters of swallows in the exact form seen on your pin representing the resurrection of JC.  

So, on the basis of these symbols... Kruckenkreuz + Swallow = Austrian-Christian Fascists ??

Edited by Simius Rex

This morning, I received an email informing me that beautiful, young Ukrainian women have the hots for older American guys.  While this is certainly important information, the message actually reminded me of a 20th century organization besides the Austrian Vaterlandische Front that utilized the Kruckenkreuz. 

Here's a picture of the Combat Cross of the Ukrainian Army of Liberation or Ukrainische Befreiungsarmee.  It was a black Kruckenkreuz with Vladimir's Trident in the middle.  The Ukrainian Army of Liberation was the official name given to all the Ukrainian units serving in the Wehrmacht. 

Maybe others in the forum can think of other organizations that used  the Kruckenkreuz in the 20th century.         

Combat Cross.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex
spelling error
  • 2 months later...

Hiya,

It has taken a few months but I finally found out what it is.

Are you ready for this - it's a pin belonging to the girl guides 😁

So nothing to do with WW II and German fighter pilots.

It just shows, always be weary with unknown items.

On 23/05/2021 at 01:13, Marcon1 said:

Hiya,

It has taken a few months but I finally found out what it is.

Are you ready for this - it's a pin belonging to the girl guides 😁

So nothing to do with WW II and German fighter pilots.

It just shows, always be weary with unknown items.

That's a disapointment, but it's better to know than to wonder.

Thanks for updating us.

Don

Posted (edited)

Hello.  I don't think it's a total disappointment because the badge dates from the 1930s and utilizes the symbol of the Austrian right-wing fascists, better known as the Vaterländische Front.  The symbol for the Austrian Boy Scouts (Pfadfinder) from this period was the Cross-Potent or Kruecken-Kreuz with a fleur de lis in the center as shown in the picture below.  Maybe the badge shown by the OP was for the Girl Scouts because a loose translation for Pfadfinder is Path-Finders or Trail-Blazers, but a German may be inclined to translate the word "Scout" as a "Guide" of sorts. Regards. 

Pfadfinder Vaterlandische Front.jpg

Edited by Triad08