News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Damn... I thought I had the history, but do not.

From Wikipedia....

• 21.11.1914 - 26.12.1914: Max von Schuckmann
    • 26.12.1914 - 04.08.1915: Willy von Livonius
    • 04.08.1915 - 02.02.1917: Paul Grautoff
    • 02.02.1917 - 02.11.1917: Albrecht Freiherr von Leesen
    • 02.11.1917 - 21.12.1917: Friedbert Lademann
    • 21.12.1917 - 05.02.1919: Leopold von Ziehlberg

I think full colonel as commander was a rariry, later in the war many regt commanders or Führer were only Major...

1 hour ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Are these wartime or those really heavy, thick prewar ones?

Chris,

up to 1915 IR 26 officers wore shoulder boards with red underlay. These must date from the 21 September 1915 introduction of white Waffenfarbe for the infantry. There are others to throw into the mix. This from the regimental history. Of course some of these will not have been colonels and there may be some additional colonels who retired from other regiments with the uniform of IR 26 and perhaps some field officers of the regiment who also reached the rank of colonel but did not command it.

Regards

Glenn

1078478061_IR26.jpg.a4a20593099da329195005db42963e73.jpg

38 minutes ago, Simius Rex said:

I am referencing my posting #2 above (which hopefully was interesting enough that people actually read it.)  If not, I think it might be worth perusing. 

The question I would have pursuant to my analysis is this:  which one of the above people served as a major, a lt. colonel and a colonel in the IR 26 continuously?  This is why I asked if anybody has the regiment's history because it would contain the names of all the officers in the regiment.

https://www.amazon.com/Infanterie-Regiment-Leopold-Anhalt-Dessau-Magdeburg-Kriegsjahr/dp/B01DMTFS98

Agree... would be interesting to see the promotions... the problem with "normal" regiments is we dont see which officers were sent to other units at mobilization, and possibly continued to wear the 26er uniform.

49 minutes ago, Simius Rex said:

I am referencing my posting #2 above (which hopefully was interesting enough that people actually read it.)  If not, I think it might be worth perusing. 

The question I would have pursuant to my analysis is this:  which one of the above people served as a major, a lt. colonel and a colonel in the IR 26 continuously?  This is why I asked if anybody has the regiment's history because it would contain the names of all the officers in the regiment.

https://www.amazon.com/Infanterie-Regiment-Leopold-Anhalt-Dessau-Magdeburg-Kriegsjahr/dp/B01DMTFS98

SR, completely agree and very forensic in your approach....lets hope someone has the book .....thanks again

Gentlemen,

I like a challenge as much as the next guy and I thought I had addressed the problem in my earlier reply. With the best will in the World, it will not be possible to identify the owner of these boards:

1. They could be an officer in the rank of Oberst in IR 26 who served at that rank and retired at that rank.

2. They could be be an officer in the rank of Oberst in IR 26 who served at that rank and then subsequently became a general officer.

3. they could be an officer who had previously served in IR 26 and then retired with the uniform of IR 26 after serving with another regiment.

4. They could be an officer who served in IR 26 as an Oberstleutnant and who was characterised as an Oberst on retirement.

5. Ditto for all of the above in Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 26.

6. Not to mention Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 26.

And yes, I do have the regimental history of IR 26 with its included Offizier-Stammliste and that will still not positively ID the owner of these boards.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J
    Additional permutation

Glenn nails it methinks...

I think the most identifiable boards remain the Cypher regiments as the numbered boards are different to the active, then concentrating on the later fieldgrey boards which the retired officers probably did not wear.

Then getting a regiment in which the history mentions all the officers who served in the regiment but were posted elsewhere to see who came into question that were however not on the regimental commanders list.

For WW1 I have two Bavarian sets to a Colonel with "20" on the boards.... they are the only ones with a sure name... and that is simply because they came out of the group, and RickL bought them when the group was split ... I guess that is the surest way ?

19 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Gentlemen,

I like a challenge as much as the next guy and I thought I had addressed the problem in my earlier reply. With the best will in the World, it will not be possible to identify the owner of these boards:

1. They could be an officer in the rank of Oberst in IR 26 who served at that rank and retired at that rank.

2. They could be be an officer in the rank of Oberst in IR 26 who served at that rank and then subsequently became a general officer.

3. they could be an officer who had previously served in IR 26 and then retired with the uniform of IR 26 after serving with another regiment.

4. They could be an officer who served in IR 26 as an Oberstleutnant and who was characterised as an Oberst on retirement.

5. Ditto for all of the above in Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 26.

6. Not to mention Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 26.

And yes, I do have the regimental history of IR 26 with its included Offizier-Stammliste and that will still not positively ID the owner of these boards.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn, outstanding forensic research...really appreciate you doing this