News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

CGSM to Pte. COCHRANE of the Kings County Volunteers - Fenian Raids 1866

Hello there, I hope this finds you all safe in these trying times.

I have a Canadian General Service Medal in the name of J. COCHRANE ( no service No. ) of the Kings County Volunteers.

I have researched all over the place on every site I can think of and find and cannot find any 'definite' reference to this unit.

I am trying to establish a few things.

1/ Which battles did this unit engage in ?

2/ Was this a Canadian unit of one from the UK ?

3/ Is his service record available ?

If anyone can perhaps point me towards any websites from which I could answer some of the above questions, I would would be most grateful.

All the best and thankyou in advance. 

CGSM Large Name.jpg

CGSM Large Unit.jpg

Arnhembobby,

I only found one James Cochrane listed in the Library and Archives and it is probably not your man.  Here is the link to him at the LAC.  https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/military-medals-1812-1969/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=17294&  

I am not well versed in this medal but one way to trace those who were awarded bars for the the Fenian Raids is through their applications for the bounty paid to those who served.  This link will lead you to two applications from men who served in the Militia Regiment of Kings County Nova Scotia.  This method would only be useful if your man applied for the Bounty.

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~dimcl/genealogy/fenianraidservice.html 

Regards,

Gordon