News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alexander Wilhelm Ernst Bernhard Freiherr von Humboldt-Dachroeden

Can anyone help me with promotion dates and awards for Alexander Freiherr von Humboldt-Dachroeden (1886--1940)? He served as Rittmeister in WW I, later he was SA-Brigadeführer. What is he wearing as a neck order? Johanniter-Orden? Ehren- or even Rechtsritter? Any other pictures? Thank you!

Alexander_von_Humboldt_(SA-Führer).jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

He was an active officer in Grenadier-Regiment zu Pferde Freiherr von Derfflinger (Neumärkisches) Nr. 3

Leutnant: 18.8.06 Cc

Oberleutnant: 28.11.14

Rittmeister: 27.1.16 D11d

He became a Johanniter Ehrenritter in 1917.

Regards

Glenn

2 hours ago, Glenn J said:

He was an active officer in Grenadier-Regiment zu Pferde Freiherr von Derfflinger (Neumärkisches) Nr. 3

Leutnant: 18.8.06 Cc

Oberleutnant: 28.11.14

Rittmeister: 27.1.16 D11d

He became a Johanniter Ehrenritter in 1917.

Regards

Glenn

Thank you so much, Glenn! So he probably entered 1904?! I think I see a EK II (ribbon bar), do you happen to know if he also had the EK I? Once again, thanks!

5 hours ago, VtwinVince said:

Looks like an Ehrenritter. What is this man's connection to the famous Gebrueder von Humboldt?

Very interessting question, so I looked into it: Theodor Emil Eduard von Humboldt-Dachroeden (1797–1871) was the son of Friedrich Wilhelm Christian Carl Ferdinand Freiherr von Humboldt (older brother of Alexander). Theodors son was Wilhelm Karl Theodor August von Humboldt-Dachroeden, Wilhelms son was Generalleutnant  Franz Günther Wilhelm Alexander von Humboldt-Dachroeden and his son was our Alexander Wilhelm Ernst Bernhard Freiherr von Humboldt-Dachroeden, making him the Ururenkel of Wilhelm von Humboldt (1767–1835) ...!

Edited by Deutschritter

If you will allow, I have a question to Franz Günther Wilhelm Alexander von Humboldt-Dachroeden (1858–1942). I found him in the Rangliste 1912, Kommandeur 22. Kavallerie-Brigade, Generalmajor since 13. September 1911. It seems he left the army as Adalbert von Wurmb took over the brigade 1913. Was he, as I suspect, reactivated in WW I. Every information would be welcome. Thanks!

Thanks for looking into the connection. The reason I ask is that my great-great-great grandfather was the Erzieher of the Humboldt brothers, his name was Gottlob Johann Christian Kunth, and he is buried on the Humboldt estate at Tegel.

Yes, but I think my ancestor's nephew, Carl Sigismund Kunth, is more interesting. He was an intimate associate of Alexander von Humboldt and was a founder, along with Bonpland, of the Berlin Botanical Museum. Of course the material for this museum came from the famous Orinoco expedition.

On 24/03/2021 at 00:23, Deutschritter said:

If you will allow, I have a question to Franz Günther Wilhelm Alexander von Humboldt-Dachroeden (1858–1942). I found him in the Rangliste 1912, Kommandeur 22. Kavallerie-Brigade, Generalmajor since 13. September 1911. It seems he left the army as Adalbert von Wurmb took over the brigade 1913. Was he, as I suspect, reactivated in WW I. Every information would be welcome. Thanks!

Generalleutnant z.D. Alexander Freiherr von Humboldt-Dachroeden (29.5.59-6.6.42) retired as a Generalmajor on 21 March 1913. Reactivated for the war he initially commanded the stellvertrende 40. Infanterie-Brigade, (the rear headquarters that remained in the homeland and carried on with recruiting and training duties etc. while the brigade was in the field). He commanded the 182. Landwehr-Infanterie-Brigade from 4 September 1915 to 16 April 1917. The Ehrenrangliste shows him to have finally commanded 251. Landwehr-Division. He was promoted to char. Generalleutnant on 18.11.15 and subsequently received a Patent as such of 16.4.17.

Regards

Glenn

11 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Luftwaffen-Hauptmann Hubertus Karl Wilhelm Prinz von Preußen

Funny that he is in the Luftwaffe given the Prinzenerlasses of the previous year, a law barring members of the former German ruling houses to undertake frontline duties, as a result of the death of Wilhelm Friedrich von Preußen in 1940.

18 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Generalleutnant z.D. Alexander Freiherr von Humboldt-Dachroeden (29.5.59-6.6.42) retired as a Generalmajor on 21 March 1913. Reactivated for the war he initially commanded the stellvertrende 40. Infanterie-Brigade, (the rear headquarters that remained in the homeland and carried on with recruiting and training duties etc. while the brigade was in the field). He commanded the 182. Landwehr-Infanterie-Brigade from 4 September 1915 to 16 April 1917. The Ehrenrangliste shows him to have finally commanded 251. Landwehr-Division. He was promoted to char. Generalleutnant on 18.11.15 and subsequently received a Patent as such of 16.4.17.

Regards

Glenn

Great Information, Glenn, I was hoping for something like this. Thank you very much!!! Do you have any awards for WW I?

This is what I have for Franz Günther Wilhelm Alexander Freiherr von Humboldt-Dachroeden up unto Ranglsite 1912:

Sankt-Annen-Orden, III. Klasse (RA3)

Zentenarmedaille, 1897

Roter Adlerorden, IV. Klasse

Orden der Krone von Italien, Offizierkreuz (JK4)

Verdienstorden Philipps des Großmütigen, Ritterkreuz I. Klasse (GHVP3a/HP3a)

Verdienstorden (Waldeck), III. Klasse (WVK3)

Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz

Ehrenlegion, Offizier (FEL4/FE4)

Preußischer Kronenorden, III. Klasse

Orden Heinrichs des Löwen, Kommandeur II. Klasse (BrH2b)

Roter Adlerorden, III. Klasse mit der Schleife

Orden von Oranien-Nassau, Kommandeurkreuz (NH3)

Sankt-Annen-Orden, II. Klasse mit Brillanten (RA2mBr)

Militär-Verdienstorden (Bulgarien), Großoffizier (BMO2)

Preußischer Kronenorden, II. Klasse