News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is there a chart associating which Belgian monarch with the signature on back of medals?

On the back of the Belgian medals like the Order of Leopold is the signature/emblam of the reigning monarch, but I'm unable to figure out which monarch used which signature and hence I can't figure out which era the medal is in. (I presume there must be 5-6 eras because that is how many Belgian Monarchs there are, so there must be 5-6 different types of signature...is that right?).

Is there a side by side picture chart of the various Belgian monarchs and what that looks like on these medals? 

Thanks!

Edited by TJLA

• TJLA changed the title to Is there a chart associating which Belgian monarch with the signature on back of medals?

That link is a start but it's missing some monograms. For instance the medal I have has a monogram that looks similar to the Leopold I but mine has a Roman numeral I in the center of the monogram whereas the Leopold I does not. 

Hello,

I took a pic of the backside of the Leopold order ( = Leopold I, three models) and the Leopold II order (Leopold II, right).

For the monogram of Albert I and Leopold III , I recommend the excelent work of Guy Deploige about Militair ereteken/ Décoration Militaire. Guy is a member on this forum, he certainly will help.

Hope this answers your question,

Jef

P1160541.JPG

Edited by Jef

Hello,

Further to the above, the Leopold I monogram with the "I" in the centre merely indicates it was manufactured by the firm of Wolfers, the "II" in the centre points to manufacture by the firm of Heremans.

Regards,

Hendrik

Awesome info. @Jef thanks for the pic, super helpful! I tried searching for the book you suggested and cannot find one by that title by Guy Deploige, (there are three he has published and none match). Can you suggest where it might be?

I did however before you suggested purchased 'The Spirit of Belgium: Orders of Belgium' by Anttii Ruokonen. How do the two works compare?

Hello TJLA,

Vincent is right.  He attached the link. I enclose a pic of the front page. I suggest to send Guy a PM, I'm sure he will help. The book is full of different medallion centers with monograms used in the Belgian Military Medal which was  awarded during the reign of Belgian kings Leopold II, Albert I, Leopold III and even King Boudewijn. As Vincent wrote, it's written in Ducht and French, but the drawnings are cristal clear.

Succes,

Jef

P1160614.JPG