News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Orthodox Crusaders of the Holy Sepulchre.

Hello.
    New addition to my collection.
    The cross has dimensions 54 x 33 cm without the crown.
    Please,I would like information about the date of construction of this specific piece, the manufacturer and if there is a relevant link.
    What is the reason for the existence of a simple cross and one with laurels?
    Any information opinion and comment is welcome.
    Many thanks.
    Regards,Jannis.

695415240_1(1).thumb.jpg.3165e575063752fd01190e982f119d65.jpg1906739722_1(3).thumb.jpg.87ad9e52411af75b7347a5e8a7eb7a5c.jpg1426245617_1(2).thumb.jpg.f47d4c51f163b21ad6deac2df9352834.jpg336024881_1(5).thumb.jpg.ef263128eb107a5ccbbe2870a43a340a.jpg1558816197_1(4).thumb.jpg.ede37cb0373d0e7e8140f2cf57bb110e.jpg915371359_1(6).thumb.jpg.542ea69d3829bd0f320ee98d5912644b.jpg

Edited by johannis

Johannis,

An interesting question.  I would be interested in knowing the answer as well.  Since you are in Greece have you enquire of the Orthodox church about this simple cross in relationship to the one with Laurels?  Sorry for the question but I had to ask.  I've posted a picture of the cross with laurels for comparison.

Regards,

Gordon

p_063_1_1.jpg

Hello.
    First of all, thank you very much for your comment and your interest.
    Yes, I asked, they said they didn't know because Jerusalem has an independent patriarchate.
    I asked in a Greek collector's forum, no answer so far.
    There is a book about the order, but unfortunately it is sold out.
    There are four classes there. 
    Grand Cross
    Knight's cross
    Knights
    Crusaders  
    I have seen Knight's cross with and without laurels, so I assume that at the older there were plain crosses 
    and the newer ones with laures.
    But that's not a fact, just my opinion.
    I add photos with Knight's crosses and two diplomas with datum 1957 and 2005. 
    Regards,Jannis.

1 (1).JPG

1 (2).JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Jannis,

Thanks for the additional information.  Your assumption that the older crosses did not have laurels and newer ones did seems reasonable.  It would also seem that the medallion was also added at a later date.  I found the following on a page in the Library of John F. Kennedy.  It is interesting to note who bestowed this Knights Cross on Jackie Kennedy.  Perhaps contacting the office in Jerusalem might help you resolve your question.

https://www.jfklibrary.org/asset-viewer/archives/JFKSG/JFKSG-MO-1963-1711-2c/JFKSG-MO-1963-1711-2c 

Regards,

Gordon

About Museum Artifact

Accession Number:
    MO 63.1711.2c
    Title:
    Grand Cross of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem
    Maker:
    Maker unknown

Medium:
    Gold, enamel, textile
    Dimensions:
    3 3/4" x 1 5/8"
    Description:
    Gold and black enamel Latin crowned cross surrounded by green enamel laurel wreath. The cross hangs as a pendant from a red ribbon. The cross grants membership for Mrs. John F. Kennedy into, and is the symbol of rank of Knight Grand Cross in the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.
    Historical Note:
    This award was bestowed upon First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy by His Beatitude Benedictos I, Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem, at the White House on October 6, 1961.

Knight Grand Cross is one of the five classes of rank bestowed by the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. Membership in the Order is reserved solely for practicing Roman Catholics. The Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem can trace its origins to Godfrey de Bouillon of the first Crusade, who gathered around him a group of knights who were entrusted with the protection of the religious Chapter of
    Canons who were present at the Holy Sepulchre of Christ. For twenty years, these knights, and those who came to join their number, protected the Christian presence at the Holy Sepulchre, taking as their banner the red Jerusalem cross popularized by the crusading knights.
    Rights Copyright Status:
    Donated to the United States
    Digital Identifier:
    JFKSG-MO-1963-1711-2c

Gifter:
    His Beatitude Benedictos I, Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem
    Archival Creator:
    National Archives and Records Administration. Office of Presidential Libraries. John F. Kennedy Library. (04/01/1985- )

Hello.
    Thank you for the link.
    My cross dimension is 5.40 x 3.30 cm Mrs Kennedy's Grand Cross is 9.50 x 4.10 cm. 
    All crosses that I have found are at least Knight's Crosses to necklace with dimensions 9.50 to 14.00 cm.
    I don't have found  Knights o Crusaders crosses.
    My cross is smaller,maybe for Knights o Crusaders.
    I tried to find out the manufacturer  with this hallmark, without success.
    If I find out something more precise, I'll add here.
    Thanks again. 
    Regards, Jannis. 

Edited by johannis

7 hours ago, Gordon Craig said:

Jannis,

Thanks for the additional information.  Your assumption that the older crosses did not have laurels and newer ones did seems reasonable.  It would also seem that the medallion was also added at a later date.  I found the following on a page in the Library of John F. Kennedy.  It is interesting to note who bestowed this Knights Cross on Jackie Kennedy.  Perhaps contacting the office in Jerusalem might help you resolve your question.

https://www.jfklibrary.org/asset-viewer/archives/JFKSG/JFKSG-MO-1963-1711-2c/JFKSG-MO-1963-1711-2c 

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon

The Library of John F. Kennedy has got this seriously mixed up. The Grand Cross of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre looks like this:

2021-04-02_22-08-58.jpg.86bf16c2d48230dedce12043e6d0391b.jpg

Source: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/order-holy-sepulchre-vatican-grand-1908172190

As the Library's catalogue entry text says (my emphasis), 

Knight Grand Cross is one of the five classes of rank bestowed by the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. Membership in the Order is reserved solely for practicing Roman Catholics.

So why would it be presented by the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem? This should have jumped out at the cataloguer, one would have hoped.

That having been said, your advice to consult the office of the aforementioned Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem about the Order which was actually awarded seems like a good idea.

Edited by Trooper_D

Jannis,

Good luck in your search.  I hope that you get an answer from Jerusalem.  If you are still trying to add to your collection in this Order and have not looked at emedals I would suggest it as one source.

Regards,

Gordon

https://www.emedals.com/an-order-of-the-orthodox-crusaders-of-the-patriarchy-of-jerusalem-grand-cross 

Johannis,

A question.  I've posted two pictures from the emedals site.  One clearly belongs to the Jerusalem Order.  The other seems to be related to the Orthodox church in Greece.  Perhaps you could explain the one that appears to be connected to the Orthodox church in Geece for me?

Regards,

Gordon

a_8389_1.jpg

a_8390_1.jpg

g_507_2.jpg

g_508_2.jpg

Hello from Greece.
    I found and bought the book and contacted the author.
    His answer: 
    "All classes of the badge are for neck and as you will see in the appendix of my book, yours is the Knights cross (Cross with crown).
    The ribbon is not original,in the photos its color appears as orange and not red.
    The cross is engraved with the degrees of silver (800) and the initials of Switzerland (CH). If you do not have the box to be sure who exactly is the manufacturer, only assumptions can be made.
    I guess it may be HUGENIN or LE LOCLE. Era before 1940."
    The classes are:
    Grand Cross (the cross on the neck, the star and the badge on the shoulder strap). 
    Knight's cross with star (Cross with laurels and crown)
    Knight's cross (Cross with laurels and crown)
    Knights (Cross with crown)
    Crusaders (Cross without crown)
    Thanks again for your interest and help.
    Regards,Jannis.   

On 04/04/2021 at 00:18, Gordon Craig said:

Johannis,

A question.  I've posted two pictures from the emedals site.  One clearly belongs to the Jerusalem Order.  The other seems to be related to the Orthodox church in Greece.  Perhaps you could explain the one that appears to be connected to the Orthodox church in Geece for me?

Regards,

Gordon

a_8389_1.jpg

a_8390_1.jpg

g_507_2.jpg

g_508_2.jpg

Hello from Gordon.
    I found and bought the book and contacted the author.
    His answer: 
    "All classes of the badge are for the neck and as you will see in the appendix of my book, yours is the Knights cross (Cross with crown).
    The ribbon is not original,in the photos its color appears as orange and not red.
    The cross is engraved with the degrees of silver (800) and the initials of Switzerland (CH). If you do not have the box to be sure who exactly is the manufacturer, only assumptions can be made.
    I guess it may be HUGENIN or LE LOCLE. Era before 1940."
    The classes are:
    Grand Cross (the cross on the neck, the star and the badge on the shoulder strap). 
    Knight's cross with star (Cross with laurels and crown)
    Knight's cross (Cross with laurels and crown)
    Knights (Cross with crown)
    Crusaders (Cross without crown)
    Thanks again for your interest and help.
    Regards,Jannis.   

On 03/04/2021 at 17:18, Gordon Craig said:

Johannis,

Regards,

Gordon

a_8389_1.jpg

a_8390_1.jpg

g_507_2.jpg

g_508_2.jpg

Jannis,

Glad to hear that you have found a book that describes these awards.  Would you please tell me the title of the book and where I could buy a copy.  Perhaps I did not explain myself when I asked about the two awards pictured above.  While they are the same shape they are not the same award.  The painting in the medallion is different and one has the Jerusalem Cross in the arms while the other has two crowns and two double headed eagles.  The cross with the crowns appears to be the Order of the Orthodox Crusaders.  What is the other cross with the Jerusalem cross in the four arms?

Regards,

Gordon

Hello Gordon.
    The book is in greek was printed in 2012 and had an edition of 500 pieces.
    The title is "Το Ταγμα Των Ορθοδοξων Σταυροφορων Του Παναγιου Ταφου" by
    M.G. Barbounis -P.D. Rizopoulos.
    Has been out of stock for a long time.
    But that's not a problem, I can scan the book and email it to you.
    Because, I'm for work, out of my home, until the end of next week,
    I can only do that next weekend.
    I contacted the author about the difference of the Emedals bagdes,
    let's see what he will answer.
    I found on the web an interesting variation of the Italian manufacturer S.Johnson.
    Regads, Jannis. 

00904q00.jpg

17 hours ago, Gordon Craig said:

Jannis,

Glad to hear that you have found a book that describes these awards.  Would you please tell me the title of the book and where I could buy a copy.  Perhaps I did not explain myself when I asked about the two awards pictured above.  While they are the same shape they are not the same award.  The painting in the medallion is different and one has the Jerusalem Cross in the arms while the other has two crowns and two double headed eagles.  The cross with the crowns appears to be the Order of the Orthodox Crusaders.  What is the other cross with the Jerusalem cross in the four arms?

Regards,

Gordon

Hello Gordon.
    I found on the web an interesting variation of the Italian manufacturer S.Johnson.
    Regads, Jannis.

00904q00.jpg

5 hours ago, johannis said:

Hello Gordon.
    Regads, Jannis.

00904q00.jpg

Jannis,

Very kind of you to offer to scan the book for me.  I would be grateful for scanned copy of the book whenever you can find the time.

Regards,

Gordon

• 2 years later...

Just to add my humble addition to this topic....I haven't got the possibility to see that great book, but to my knowledge, there is a issue about this order.

According to the pictures of two Serbian kings from late 1800s, both of them wore around neck simple Jerusalem crosses without laurels. I assume that was the single or the highest class at that time. 

In my collection there is a I class of the order (Lemaitre) from the very beginning of 1900s, but without another order badge...

I assume it was added after 1925, and the newest recomposition of the Order classes...

I also noticed that the fragment of the True Cross was placed in every order, regardless of the class...

20230806_132834.jpg

And those are two Serbian kings with this Order without laurels:

King Milan Obrenović and his son, Alexander, respectively...

Milan-Obrenovic-v.jpg

Aleksandar_ob_heinrich_wassmuth_1894.jpg