Ribbon Bars With A Limited Assortment of Decorations

55 minutes ago, Daniel Krause said:

@ Nicolas, did I ever mention, that I like Godet bars, especiallly the tiny Godet details? ūüôā

Na klar, die sind eben unwiderstehlich ūüôā

On 30/04/2021 at 07:39, Daniel Krause said:

Oberst Walter v. Conrady - very limited - limited - full.  Have some more examples, but this is quite "extreme".

Hello.  This is a perfect example of not just one, but TWO combat bars assembled entirely from v. Conrady's wartime awards.  When he acquired two more wartime awards, his 3-place combat bar evolved into a 5-place bar.  The fact that all three bars are still together after one century is absolutely astonishing!  I hope you don't mind... I posted your photo of this fabulous set one more time because it so perfectly illutrates the subject of this thread.  

I am very much looking forward to seeing other examples you might have in your collection, and I am certain many other members of the forum are looking forward to seeing them as well !!  Many thanks for sharing this photo.  Best regards.    

Oberst Walter v. Conrady.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 30/04/2021 at 14:42, Deruelle said:

Hi  Major Rudolf Uth    Christophe

Uth 9.jpg

Hello.  What a fabulous Saxon combat bar!  The entry from the postwar Reichsheer rank-list you show lists only the major's combat decorations which matches his combat bar 100%.  Do you know what his complete set of decorations were?  Thanks very much for showing this beautiful condensed combat bar.   It's another great example for this thread!

Just a side-note.  Anybody who has acquired a set of the Rangliste des Deutschen Reichsheeres 1924-32 eventually realizes that only combat decorations are listed.  No peacetime awards are mentioned which can sometimes lead to confusion when trying to do research.  Best regards.     

Edited by Triad08

Hello.  I had a chance to catch-up on reading new threads in the forum and I came across two magnificent bars belonging to Georg Veit that need to be shown in this thread since they fit the subject so well..  I hope the owners of these bars don't mind the images of their bars being posted here.  So here they are... the bars of Oberst Georg Veit together.  Regards. 

Georg Veit.jpg

Hello

I have this photo from my collection. the ribbon bar belonged to Leutnant d.R. Ernst Hischmann

Nice combo with Prussian, Baden and Hohenzollern ribbons.

Christophe

001_1010.jpg

Hi Christophe.  You posted yet another beautiful combat bar.  I wonder how many peacetime awards the Lieutenant had.  Regards.

Do others in the forum have any more examples of abbreviated combat bars vs. complete bars they would like to show?

1 hour ago, Triad08 said:

Hi Christophe.  You posted yet another beautiful combat bar.  I wonder how many peacetime awards the Lieutenant had.  Regards.

Do others in the forum have any more examples of abbreviated combat bars vs. complete bars they would like to show?

Thanks for your comment. Hischmann was an NCO in the beginning of the war and was graduate during the war. Then he received all of his awards (except the EK2) as Leutnant.

Christophe

One more: 

Not exactly limited,

Colonel Fritz von Selle wearing wartime only, leaving out all his peacetime stuff.

...and even wearing all neck decorations except of the plm on the ribbon bar.

Best,

Daniel

20210511_210327.jpg

20210511_210226.jpg

And then-Major Georg Wetzell did wear everything on his early 1916 ribbon bar.

His later bars show again, wartime only.

Best,

Daniel

20210511_210154.jpg

20210511_210129.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2021 at 15:08, Daniel Krause said:

Not exactly limited, Colonel Fritz von Selle wearing wartime only, leaving out all his peacetime stuff... and even wearing all neck decorations except of the plm on the ribbon bar.

And then-Major Georg Wetzell did wear everything on his early 1916 ribbon bar. His later bars show again, wartime only.

Hello.  These are amazing examples of abbreviated combat bars created from recipients' wartime decorations and also perfectly suited for the subject of this thread.  I would agree with you that v. Selle's impressive bar is not exactly "limited", but at least it is exclusively comprised of his wartime decorations.  Some officers were obviously less modest about showing-off their awards.  The Wetzell grouping is absolutely sensational!  It is astonishing to me, that these bars are still together as one group after one century.  If these are only "some" of your bars, your total collection must undoubtedly be world-class.  Regards       

Next photo: Another example I found visiting Mr. Woeschler's website... Genmaj Hugo v. Wenz's complete bar and his condensed combat bar.

Genmaj Hugo v. Wenz.png

Edited by Triad08

Another example;

GenMaj Konrad Graf Finck von Finckenstein, Cdr of Leibgrenadierregiment 8, 75th Reserve infantry brigade, and later General a la suite of Wilhelm II., did wear Prussia and wartime, leaving out all of his peacetime non-Prussian stuff, where he had at least 8 decorations more to show at the bar.

Best,

Daniel

Finckenstein.jpg

Finckenstein1.jpg

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Daniel Krause said:

GenMaj Konrad Graf Finck von Finckenstein, Cdr of Leibgrenadierregiment 8, 75th Reserve infantry brigade, and later General a la suite of Wilhelm II., did wear Prussia and wartime, leaving out all of his peacetime non-Prussian stuff, where he had at least 8 decorations more to show on the bar.

Hello. This fabulous condensed bar perfectly illustrates an owner's intention to make two very distinct statements by his selection of awards:  1.) That he was a brave combat soldier who was proud of his combat decorations, (something Christophe called the "real" awards for a "real" soldier,) and  2.) That he was proud to be Prussian. 

I am certain that to his fellow officers and even to the rank-and-file soldiers, the two-pronged "message" that General Finckenstein conveyed with his ribbon-bar came-across loud and clear.   Thank you for sharing the image of this remarkable example that illustrates yet another interesting variation of these curious, condensed ribbon bars. Regards.            

Edited by Triad08

Hello

Another good example. General Bodo Senfft von Pilsach. Here is a photo with a small ribbon bar matching with its medal bar. I found recently this photo of his helmet, saber and medals from old museum in Dresden. He chose to wore only the wartime medals.

Christophe

PICT0009 (4).JPG

Senfft von Pilsach 1.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 22/05/2021 at 11:36, ccj said:

I need some ribbon bars like Daniel and Christophe.  All are so very nice

Hello @Daniel Krause and Hello @Deruelle 

Impressive, when somebody confesses to 'needing' ribbon bars that match the caiiber of the ones you've presented here.  It is said that envy is the highest form of compliment, and that greed is the sincerest form of flattery.

Continuing with the topic, here are two photos of Bavarian General Felix Graf von Bothmer in full-dress uniform and in a field tunic.  On the field tunic he is wearing his PLM and EK1, but his ribbon bar consists of only two foreign decorations... an Austrian MVK2X or 1X and an Ottoman award.

His ribbon bar features his two highest wartime decorations awarded by two other Central Powers he was interacting with during his command of the Southern German Army.  He wore this ribbon bar right along with his highest German wartime decoration.  It would appear that the objective of his VERY limited ribbon bar was diplomatic propriety and a show of unity.  Regards.

Felix Graf von Bothmer.png

Edited by Triad08

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ccj said:

An example of an abbreviated ribbon bar.

It may have belonged to Prince Wilhelm of Hohenzollern.

Hello.  The extraordinary devices on this ribbon bar are jeweler's quality miniatures typically crafted for royalty and well-to-do aristocracy.  It's an absolutely amazing ribbon bar.

F√ľrst Wilhelm v. Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen was awarded a large number of orders and decorations, so this bar clearly represents a very condensed selection of his awards.¬† It was likely intended as an accessory for his Feldbluse because, in addition to the Iron Cross, it features FOUR of his wartime-awarded grand crosses... a truly impressive set of combat decorations to wear in the field.

But the bar doesn't stop there.¬† It seems there's more information that the F√ľrst wanted to convey.¬† The bar features a Prussian Long Service Cross to make everybody aware that he was no johnny-come-lately in terms of military service.¬† And what member of the extended Hohenzollern family isn't going to wear a Kaiser Wilhelm I Centennial Medal as an expression of dynastic solidarity. ¬†

This is a relatively modest-sized bar that succeeds in making no less than THREE statements that would have come across loud and clear to military personnel who may have gazed upon it.  Thanks for sharing it.  Regards.

FuŐąrst Wilhelm v. Hohenzollern.jpg

Edited by Triad08