News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

12 hours ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Does anyone have any bars with mixed states (Bavaria, Saxony etc) to other ranks or junior company grade officers to show?

Some really good ones are needed for a project

Thanks

Chris

Does this qualify? Only ww1 bar I have by the way and showing this for the first time.

Best. Peter

20210411_103640.jpg

1 minute ago, drspeck said:

Does this qualify? Only ww1 bar I have by the way and showing this for the first time.

Best. Peter

20210411_103640.jpg

Veeeerrry nice... does it have a name to it?

5 minutes ago, Deruelle said:

Hi Chris,

Here is a pure Imperial medal bar

Christophe

Leutnant Hermann Hartung 001.JPG

Hi, nice! do you know how he got that combination?

1 minute ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Hi Chris, no name unfortunately. I've been looking for a while for a copy of the 1936 book by Franz Josef Ophaus about the Prussian gold MMC to find out more but have so far not been able to find a copy.

1 hour ago, drspeck said:

Best. Peter

20210411_103640.jpg

Hi interesting medal bar, but to be honest I am a little bit confused about this one! The prussian golden Military merit cross was only awarded to NCOs. The saxon Albrechtsorder with swords do hint towards an officer. How does that fit together? I have no clue.

There shouldn't be that many saxonians who got the prussian golden mmc, so if I have the list of the saxionian regiments I can have a look in my lists, but as said first we need to find out how this combination could have happened. 

14 hours ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Does anyone have any bars with mixed states (Bavaria, Saxony etc) to other ranks or junior company grade officers to show?

Some really good ones are needed for a project

Thanks

Chris

Chris do you want military medal bars or could it be civilian too?

1 hour ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

Hi interesting medal bar, but to be honest I am a little bit confused about this one! The prussian golden Military merit cross was only awarded to NCOs. The saxon Albrechtsorder with swords do hint towards an officer. How does that fit together? I have no clue.

Perfectly possible. Many NCO's got promoted to junior officers due to the sheer lack of young men who reached the standard of the officers corps. Combinations with NCO/junior officer level awards can be found quite frequently on the market. This is especially demonstrated with Bavarian bars containing both MVK's and MVO's.

1 hour ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

There shouldn't be that many saxonians who got the prussian golden mmc, so if I have the list of the saxionian regiments I can have a look in my lists, but as said first we need to find out how this combination could have happened.

Given the fact he wears the MMC before the EK (a weird combo often observed at the beginning of the 1920's, same goes for HoHx-EK combinations) I would suggest that this man is a Prussian rather than a Saxon

Kind regards, Laurentius

I agree, the bar with the Prussian MVK looks pretty weird. Are there any markings on that cross? It does not look like an award piece at first glance. Here is my Godet bar (again) with multiple states, and a couple of others.

godet4.jpg

NK2.jpg

saxony2.jpg

bayern2.jpg

8 hours ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Hi, nice! do you know how he got that combination?

Hi Chris

Not one name but two. Indeed, this combo is not unique (too bad). 

- Leutnant d.R. Fritz Berthold from LIR 103 (died in 1916)

- Leutnant d.R. Arnold Landgrebe from RIR 101 (died in 1916)

Both officers were born in Gera that explain why they received the RE3X

Christophe

32 minutes ago, VtwinVince said:

I agree, the bar with the Prussian MVK looks pretty weird. Are there any markings on that cross? It does not look like an award piece at first glance. Here is my Godet bar (again) with multiple states, and a couple of others.

The cross is marked "W" and 835 on the lowest arm of the cross. Here's also an image of the back of the bar.

20210411_103806.jpg

1 hour ago, Simius Rex said:

It's probably one of the people on the list below.  If you have a copy of Erhard Roth's book listing the recipients of the AOR2 with swords, you could see if one of the names below is mentioned.

Thanks for taking the time :cheers: I'm short on the correct books, but I'm also keeping my eyes peeled for a copy of that book, I think the Roth's book should also be better available than the Ophaus one...

I posted this bar some time ago.  Do you need photos posted directly to this thread or will this link be sufficient?

WGMMM w/Lubeck 4-medal bar - Germany: Imperial: The Orders, Decorations and Medals of The Imperial German States - Gentleman's Military Interest Club (gmic.co.uk)

Since the last post to the above thread, have there been any updates to the award lists that might further narrow the list of possible recipients?

• 3 weeks later...
    On 05/05/2021 at 13:27, BlackcowboyBS said:

pretty reasonable, and an interesting way to cover the swastika on that bar! 

Yeah, nothing makes a bar uglier than that medal. I have a great Bavarian bar where he did not bother to mount that and it lays loose in its box ?

Does anyone have any more that can be used for an article? Anything appretiated, also good photos of the Spangen being worn.

Thanks

Chris