News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Single-Button Bergmütze with Unknown Insignia

I've recently begun collecting Imperial/WWI/Freikorps photographs, and came across this one in auction. I'm still at the beginning of the rather steep learning curve of uniforms and insignia of the era, and don't quite understand what I'm seeing here. Is this soldier part of the Deutsches Alpenkorps? And what is that badge behind the edelweiss? Thank you for any assistance.

bergmutze.jpg.9278d094514c2500608bf3f9f9dbfacf.jpg

4 hours ago, 91-old-inf-reg said:

@TheMadBaron,yes he is apart of the alpine corps. From my understanding it was a symbol of their specific branch of the army, in this case it is the artillery as the symbol is a grenadiers bomb. Here’s an example: 

CC44B484-F026-44F7-B7C5-23D4C19FBD70.jpeg

Great, thank you for the information!

@TheMadBaron, further, there is and will be much variation to these caps, as noted by the single button, many would often times be private purchases, clearly evident by the contrast in quality. 

I'm glad I could be of some assistance, if you want an authentic Bergmutze this is one currently for sale at Weitze.

Edited by 91-old-inf-reg

I saw the listing for this, it states it was taken in Sonthofen which could only lead to one of the Bavarian Gebirgs Batterien. This Artillerist has a private purchased stlye Bergmütze (Can tell by the single button closures). I always like to state that what ever was issued, could also be privately purchased... Even with their own touch. On the side of his Bergmütze is a Richtschütze abzeichen (Aka Richtkanonier which was the gun layer). Since Gebirgsartillerie were based around Feldartillerie (Smaller caliber field guns), they used the same layout and parts of insignia. If the soldier had the money, why not?