News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all, I came across this image of Ludwig Samson Heinrich Arthur Freiherr von und zu der Tann-Rathsamhausen, looking closely at his medal bar, he appears to be wearing 2 ek11's, one I assume is 1870, the other presumably 1813, similarly, 2 x ek1's, same dates? "

Was this common or even permitted? Comments appreciated

It appears to be an actual photo not a lithograph

Regards

H8RFM2Ludwig Samson Heinrich Arthur Freiherr von und zu der Tann-Rathsamhausen.jpg

IMG_20210511_102852.jpg

Edited by Alex K
    Additional image

Hello!

He was born in 1815 so I don't think he wears the 1813 Iron Cross. 

It does look like two iron crosses but could it be the Military merit cross from Mecklenburg-Schwerin?

• 1 month later...
    On 12/05/2021 at 06:09, Lukasz Gaszewski said:

Interesting placement of the Ludwigs-Orden after the campaign crosses.

Just to pick up on this, the two campaign crosses, one I assume will be for 1866, what would the other be for? 

Thanks 

On 17/06/2021 at 10:08, Alex K said:

Just to pick up on this, the two campaign crosses, one I assume will be for 1866, what would the other be for? 

Thanks 

Hi, the almost identical cross behind the Feldzugs-Denkzeichen for 1866 is the Feldzugs-Denkzeichen for 1849 - for Bavarian Participants of the war in Slesvig-Holsatia against Denmark 1848-50. Quite rare because the Bavarian Contingent of the troops of the German Federation was small. Greetings 

Hi thanks for the additional information, I was begining to think it might be for 1849, nice to have confirmation. 

Regards

Alex 

I assume this one with correct ribbon? 

c11.jpg

Edited by Alex K

Hi @Alex K you`re welcome - yes, absolutely correct nice crosses with correct ribbon(s) - broad purple with light green borders (roast me on this regarding technical terms, if anyone wants to, I am no expert ?). If I may add, interestingly, if I compare to Nimmergut "Bänderkatalog", the "green color" of the full size cross ribbon and the "purple color" of the miniature would be a perfect match, but - all good - my personal "sight" as well as the impact of time and different producers will of course have taken their toll. Nice examples - do you own them? Cheers!

Hi, thanks, unfortunately they are not mine, but I research medals and like to have a reference library of images for my own research, I don't unfortunately remember which site I found them on now, quite an attractive simple cross. 

Interestingly, it's a bit difficult to determine from the image I posted, but I can't determine that the 1849 ribbon is actually being worn, looks like, its only the later campaign ribbon (for both) , I could be wrong

Regards alex

Edited by Alex K