News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

hello

I am trying to see if there is a medal roll for the 2nd Punjab regiment for the IGSM 1895 - 1902

If so would someone be able to point me the right direction

regards and thanks

C

Edited by cazack
    wrong photo

When I actually actively collected I.G.S. medals, back in the dawn of time [a.k.a. 1985ish] there was a spate of publications of medal rolls, starting with gallantry stuff and working outward to thiungs like individual campaign bars for some of the I.G.S. medals.  Sadly, most of these were privately published, with very small printing runs, by avid collectors and are now like the proverbial hen's teeth. :( 

Abebooks, whose stock I love to browse, has this on their U.K. site:

Capture.JPG

• 6 months later...

Extant IGS 1895 medal rolls for some (many, all, most?) Indian Army units are held at the National Archives of India, in New Delhi, India. Some of these rolls (including rolls for both silver and bronze medal issues) have been digitized, and are accessible at the respective Indian national archives website. The rolls are mostly typescript for this period and are excellent sources of information, the rolls for followers having some particularly useful annotations / remarks.

A search of the correspondence pertaining to medal in general, and specific claims, supplementary claims, and correspondence on replacements can be especially enlightening.

The process of digitization of the medal rolls is not a priority at that archival repository, and while the quantity grows over time, there is still much to be done! 

The real downside and caveat however, is in the beast of a search engine on the website, which is extremely user unfriendly, and which does not lend itself to quick casual searches - you have been warned!

You need to be extremely vigilant & imaginative with your search criteria - as said it is a beast of a search engine.

If you have the curiosity, and time, lots & lots of time (to persevere), then spend an afternoon or evening browsing to see what you can find = you might just get lucky.