Saniater und Musiker awarded E.K. II in January 1916. Relatively common or ?

dpast32

Hello Gents,  Please excuse my apparent ignorance in this area, as the E. K. Series of awards is not my primary area of expertise. I picked up what I'm hoping to be an interesting addition to my collection, although I'm not at all certain as to just how far I'll be able to research it. Briefly, it's an Iron Cross 2nd Class identified by related documents as being awarded to an 'Sanitater und Musiker' who was awarded it for an action on 27 January 1916, at the front with the Imperial German's 80th Reserve Infantry Regiment. From what I've learned over the years, that term would be primarily be used to describe a Stretcher Bearer, & may have been awarded for perhaps transporting wounded personnel under enemy fire / shelling, etc. I guess what I'm curious about is whether the EK II would have been a relatively common award for someone with his particular function & Gefreiter rank, or perhaps may be been somewhat uncommon ? If anyone happens to be familiar with these awards I'd deeply appreciate hearing their views on the subject. THANK YOU

Best,    Dom P. / dpast32

Hello, In the German Army  as in others, musicians acted in combat as auxiliary stretcher bearers , hilfkrankentrager. apart existed the Sanitaeter , men who belonged to the Medical Corp of the Army, trained in first aid technics . Sanis , were assigned to Coys , Bataillons and Regiments. other component of Medical were the stretcher bearers platoons or Coys 

Yes, I thought so to until I noted the date attributed to it on one of the Genealogical documents. It specifically notes 27 January 1916, so there's got to be something to it anyway, I do hope ?

Note that towards the bottom of this attached document, you will observe that it specifically refers to an E.K. II being awarded, with the date of 27 January 1916 being specified. Now yes, I do admit to it is indeed not the official award document, however, in my experience, it's quite unlikely that he would have claimed such had it not been a genuine award. [ I could indeed be wrong though, but in this instance I truly don't think so ? ] I am hoping though that his E.K. II is documented, therefore confirmed within his Wehrpass, but as I haven't received it yet, I can't say for sure. I am hoping though ! 

Best,    Dom P.  / dpast32

p52151_115365_1587671974.jpg

Hello Gents,  In the interest of being thorough, I've decided to add the below Files, as perhaps someone may see something within them to further my knowledge of this Group. Lately, I just can't seem to get away from attempting to research guys who choose not to utilize their 1st name, as in this particular case. He was apparently born as Wilhelm Heinrich, although appears to have preferred to go by just Heinrich.[ Didn't he realize that by doing so it was going to cause some obscure 'Yank' problems 100 years down the road ? In fact, I just finished researching an American Civil War Lieutenant's Medals who chose to due the exact same thing ! ] On this man, I'm particularly interested in confirming his 'exact' last name, & also his post WW1 civil occupation, if at all possible. His surname is spelled in a few places in the older, German script method, & for the uninitiated link is myself, it's extremely difficult to dechiper. I am hoping his Wehrpass will assist me somewhat when I receive it, & especially if it confirms his WW1 E.K.II award, although I'm confident that it was an do feel that it was an authorized decoration. If anyone happens to have any ideas regarding the recipient, I would deeply appreciate hearing your thoughts, & or comments. THANK YOU,

Best regards,    Dom P.  /  dpast32

p52151_115355_1587671957.jpg

p52151_115356_1587671964.jpg

p52151_115363_1587671974.jpg

p52151_115364_1587671974.jpg

p52151_115367_1587671981.jpg

p52151_115354_1587671957.jpg

p52151_115357_1587671965.jpg

p52151_115358_1587671965.jpg

p52151_115359_1587671965.jpg

31924_b042444-00168.jpg

Hello Gents,  I just wished to update my information regarding the authenticity of this individual being officially authorized the E.K. II, as noted on his Genealogical document. Someone, in addition to myself were seemingly concerned as to the apparent lack of his official E.K. II Award Document, although a few of his  other certificates were present ? So basically, all I had was the fact of it being included on his Family Lineage document. Well, hopefully, I can put this to rest & confirm the award, based upon what I 'think' is it being listed on page 24 of his WW2 era We browse, along with 2 other items directly below the E.K. II reference. Now again, I'm not absolutely certain at this point, but hopefully someone more familiar with such things will be kind enough to please confirm this fact. THANKS AGAIN,

Best,     Dom P.  

IMG_6455.jpg

Hello Gents,  I just wished to update my information regarding the authenticity of this individual being officially authorized the E.K. II, as noted on his Genealogical document. Someone, in addition to myself were seemingly concerned as to the apparent lack of his official E.K. II Award Document, although a few of his  other certificates were present ? So basically, all I had was the fact of it being included on his Family Lineage document. Well, hopefully, I can put this to rest & confirm the award, based upon what I 'think' is it being listed on page 24 of his WW2 era We browse, along with 2 other items directly below the E.K. II reference. Now again, I'm not absolutely certain at this point, but hopefully someone more familiar with such things will be kind enough to please confirm this fact. THANKS AGAIN,

Best,     Dom P.  

Also,  here's a much better scan of the 1st page of his Genealogical document, which hopefully will shed a bit more light on his WW 1 service. I'm especially interested in what it refers to about his Front service ? THANKS

...IMG_6458.thumb.jpg.875a6ab4e075e01b44ae950faa386da4.jpg

Best,     Dom P.

• Blog Comments

• Monólogo paralelo or dialogos paralelos. Hola Spasm, I thought you were not here.  Don't read this that you can get Hill or Head, or Heat never remember, Althought I'll be sure  nobody  will take a look at this since i wasn't  magician or witch or supergnomo or something like, Some ideas and facts are taken from russian people and muslims. Not very danger, as here, but they speak very much. That make the speaks or  monólogos del griego monos, one and logos, wisdom. Although I´m afraid
    • Sounds great other than the Orange & Mango squash only because I prefer cran-pomegranate juice.
    • "(...) disgusting herbal concoction (...)" I took note of this description, to enrich my otherwise limited, English "Wortschatz"...
    • At work the standard indian tea such as PG tips is referred to as chimp tea. This goes back to the days when we had a Spanish girl working for us whose command of the English language was extremely limited. One lunch she said she was going to the shop could she get anything. I asked if she could get a pack of tea bags. She returned with some disgusting herbal concoction. I tried to explain what was required but without success. I then remembered PG tips had a picture of a chimpanzee on the packe
    • When I read Lapsang Souchong i decided to post something about these Tea . Many years ago I dont  know about Lapsang until I read James Michener book Centennial and the description of the savour of the Lapasang as a mix of tar and salt & smoked made me proof . It was exact ! and i liked it since then .