Austrian collar stars

A strange question perhaps, but does anybody know when exactly the system of collar stars denoting military rank was introduced in the Austrian army?

Thanks in advance,

Lukasz

FM Radetzky started in August 1848 introducing rank stars in his army. They were officially introduced with Reichsgesetzblatt 127/1848 and Erlass of Ministry of War dated with 14.02.1849 for all officers.

Rank stars for NCO were introduced with Entschließung from 30.08.1849.

Rank laces were introduced for Militär-Verpflegspersonal with 09.05.1848.

I hope this informations will be sufficient for you.

Regards

Christian

Christian,

the information was most helpful, thank you very much! I knew that collar stars were in use since 1849, but I did not know the exact date of institution. I had no idea that Radetzky had them introduced a year earlier.

The reason why I was asking was as follows: in the miniatures room of the Castle Museum in Pszczyna (http://www.zamek-pszczyna.pl/english/The_Miniatures_Room) is a portrait of then Rittmeister (later  Generalmajor) Alexander Graf zu Pappenheim, a Bavarian aristocrat in Austrian military service. He is known of being a friend of an eminent Polish painter, Artur Grottger.

The portrait was made by painter Franciszek Tepa when Pappenheim was serving at a garrison in Lemberg. What surprised me most was that the painting was dated to 1847 and according to my previous knowledge, collar stars were not yet used then. 

Now, with the information you have kindly provided, there are three possibilities, I think:

1) the miniature was made exactly between August 1848 (introduction of collar stars) and December 1848 (abdication of Emperor Ferdinand). Note that the the cypher "FI" (Ferdinand I) on Pappenheim's shako Kokarde clearly points to the fact that the portrait was painted during Ferdinand's reign;

2) the portrait was made indeed in 1847 and the stars were added later;

3) (least likely) collar stars in the Lemberg garrison were used as early as in 1847.

I also had certain doubts of whether Pappenheim was wearing a uniform of an Austrian cavalry officer of 1847.

Regards,

Lukasz

Pappenheim.jpg

Alexander Pappenheim is still listed as Oberlieutnant in Schematismus 1848. There was no Schematismus 1849. In Schematismus 1850 he is listed as "Erster Rittmeister" in DR 2. So we don´t know exactly when he was promoted to Rittmeister.

For me it sounds strange that he should have been portraied in 1847 as Rittmeister. I would assume that the stars were added later or that the pic is wrong dated?

I think that the cockades were not changed as quick and were worn ahead. This will not be a distinctive hint in my opinion.

Regards

Christian

Christian,

having a second look at the portrait I am getting more and more convinced the stars were added later. the background colour thereunder is visibly brigher than elsewhere, as if the painter had to put some backround paint before adding them.

Thank you again for your assistance. It was most helpful.

Regards,

Lukasz