News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Forum for Buying/Selling of Police Medals

Hi All,

Just wondering if there are any opportunities to set up a dedicated forum for those interested in collecting police medals to advertise medals for sale/buy medals(probably UK/Colonies at first but maybe expanded to other police jurisdictions later)?

The reason I ask is that I live in Australia but collect UK & Colonial Police Medals- and hunting those that are for sale via internet or various clubs etc is a real task- looking for the needle in a large series of haystacks! Australian auctions of this type of medal are few and far between, UK auctions more plentiful but an 8 hour time lag can be difficult, and UK auction commissions/VAT are a real killer!

Look forward to hearing any ideas or suggestions.

Best regards

Dave Picton-King

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

This is a difficult one to achieve. Police collecting is very niche, I would love to be able to oblige but for it to work it would probably need some separation form the main server/club. Would be interested to hear if there is any appetite for it ?

Possibly could fit under the Mervyn Mitton banner as a sub-folder?? That way those who have no interest in the police area will probably never see it but anyone who glances at the 'Mervyn' police pages will have it available in front of them. The issue of course is the extra work it will create for moderators etc.

Agreed and good idea. I think the challenge will be getting a GMIC member to 'volunteer' to moderate etc, and also to get enough on-line activity by collectors to warrant the effort. I know there will be a number of regular and keen users of this type of forum, but not sure if it will be enough! Hopefully we can launch something and assess how much use it gets.

• 2 months later...

Hi Numis,

Generally not a positive response. The website admin rightly point out that the effort to appoint moderators, and the work they would need to do to manage the forum activity would probably be far greater than warranted by what some believe would be a very small number of users.

I and several others would be avid users (or at least participants until we found something to buy or sell) but whether we would be enough to warrant the commitment of time by others- not sure.

Anyway, the idea seems to have been condemned to the backbench for the time being.

• 2 months later...

Just for the record, I am a collector of British and British Colonial/Dominion medals to police officers with a main focus of those medals and awards issued by the Local Authorities of the UK. These are the medals awarded by the County, Borough and City police forces of the UK, mostly prior to the initiation of the national Police Long Service & Good Conduct Medal in 1951, but some of which continued to exist. There are even a few of these 'local' medals which were inititaed after 1951.

Any one interested in discussing a swap/sale of such medals are most welcome to contact me- here or at dpk@iinet.net.au. couple of typical examples pics attached. Best regards, David. 

Bristol City GS Medal CAVILL Obv whole.JPG

Coventry with facsimile ribbon.jpg

Edited by dpk
    wrong image