News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italian soldier around 1870

Hello!

Here I have an older picture of an Italian soldier.
    Brief background:
    In 1866, besides the German-Austrian War, the Italian-Austrian War also took place. Through the mediation of Napoleon III, a military alliance treaty was signed between Italy and the German Empire on 8 April 1866.
    In short, Austria lost the war and with it some parts of the country, such as Verona, which in 1866 went to the young Italian Kingdom (since 1861).
    Unfortunately, I am not that familiar with the old Italian uniforms.
    The French cuffs and commemorative medal for the unity of Italy are striking here.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medaglia_commemorativa_dell'Unità_d'Italia
    Any ideas of the uniform, plese? I think, it´s a Sergeant (or officer) during the occupation of Verona between 1866 and 1870.

By the way. This link:

http://www.esercito.difesa.it/comunicazione/editoria/Editoria-filatelia-e-numismatica/Fastweb/Pagine/LEsercito-Italiano-nella-Grande-Guerra-1915-18.aspx

doesn´t work anymore. Did someone download the books and is able to send the files to me? That would be wonderful!!!!!

Thanks a lot!

Scannen0002.jpg

Scannen0001 - Kopie.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

A Sardinian army Infantry officer wearing the uniform in service from 1850 . French Cuffs black piped red ,gold buttons , over the cuffs the three golden lace inverted chevrons of a captain . NCOs weared black chevrons . the colour of the collar varied according to the Brigade , The Re, brigade used red collars , the Regina Brigade white ones, the Savoia Brigade black piped red and so on, each Brigade consisted of two regiments 

The Prussian , All I was able to find about the Sardinian Army in Verona from 1866 onwards was the Italian Contingent that entered in Verona the 16th October 1866 consisted of 600 men of the Milizia . Its no surprise due to the fact that the Austrians had leave the City without fight. The imponent Fortifications of Verona and their magazines and miltary stores , the great Military Hospital and Casernes all changed hands . many years after around 1880 was garrisoned the 10th Bersagliere in the Catena Caserma 

Thanks a lot, mate!!!!

So I assume, he had red piped, black cuffs (Savoia). Probably a Captain, who visited the town.

I ordered the book "Le prime uniformi dell´esercito italiano".

In that book I found this painting of "Brigata Savoia" Could it fit?

580115324_Screenshot(382).thumb.png.02b149b727e739e097e688b121e17793.png

Edited by The Prussian