News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South African Plaque of Remembrance

Shots Dave

I saw the attached collection and thought at the time I might be able to finally get an example of a WW2 South African Plaque of Remembrance and also get an example of a W prefix Africa Service medal, which at the time I did not have. The fact they were brother and sister was a touching addition to the grouping, then there was the press cutting with a picture of the recipient and the letter of condolence to their mother from the King. Now as my main area is the medal collecting I failed to notice the significance of the circumstances of his  death at Kisumu on 19/12/42. I searched the surname recently on a Facebook group and it revealed all the 12 names of the passengers and crew on board the flight. The passengers included Major General "Dan" Daniel Hermanus Pienaar and further investigation revealed that all 12 men were unusually repatriated to South Africa. Having spent most of my time searching for examples of different WW2 medals I am now beginning to greater appreciate being able to discover the men/women behind the medals where it is possible and South African medals being named is a great help. 

South Africa-Collection-O.jpg

South Africa-Collection-O (2).jpg

South Africa-Collection-O (3).jpg

Thanks for the interest Gordon. Your reply has highlighted a lack of clear explanation from me. The medals with the W prefix relating to the Women's Auxiliary Army Service belonged to the sister, I am afraid I do not have the medal entitlement to her brother who was awarded the 1939-1945 Star, Africa Star, War Medal and Africa Service Medal.

Thanks for the explanation on the sister.  I was curious about mention of her.  Good luck in collecting all of the letter prefixes on these medals.  There are certainly a lot of them!  If you wish to do some further research on this group I have used dewald@nelantiques.co.za successfully on WWII and Boer War groups in my collection.

Regards,

Gordon