News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown French (?) official

peron

Hi

Here's a recent picture added to my collection. I believe its a french official (Diplomatic corps? Artillery?)

Could anyone help identify ?

Best regards

1560581935_oficialfranescorpodiplomatico.thumb.jpg.d0cc3d9aacb50f4e1240842f50cd1a17.jpg

Picture of the back of the photo

oficial françes corpo diplomatico reverso.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't know anything about ranks and uniforms but the medals worn in the picture suggest a civilian diplomatic official. The neck badge and breast star of the Order of Nichan-Iftikar point to service in Tunisia and the presence of the Belgian Order of Leopold, civilian division and the Portuguese Order of Aviz further confirm diplomatic service. The first two medal, Academic Palms and Agricultural Order are among the commonest French decorations for officials.

Regards,

Hendrik

Appears to be a Lion & Sun officer and medal on bottom 'row'.    Nicham Iftikhirs could recognize 'donations' to the Tunisian government's Waquf Fund without any other connection to the Beydom.      Same for Lion & Sun.

Epaulettes curiously do not match.  Collar floral decoration not dissimilar to those used by junior French governmental functionaries. 

Bonsoir,

Actually a military officer, a Commandant (Major) breveté d'Etat Major.

Being posted to an Etat-Major may explain the array of foreign Orders.

Edited by Djedj

On 29/07/2021 at 17:20, Djedj said:

Bonsoir,

Actually a military officer, a Commandant (Major) breveté d'Etat Major.

Being posted to an Etat-Major may explain the array of foreign Orders.

I agree, his collar badge is the so called Foudre of the Etat Major

The foudre (thunderbolt) was authorized to use by the Officers Brevetes de Etat Major after two years of studies in the Ecole Superieur de Guerre.

I forgot to say that : his rank is showed by the epaulettes . right shoulder a fringeless one , left shoulder a epaulette with short 7cm long fringes of thick thread . all in gold .  or in silver for Cavalry , Chasseurs a Pied and Chasseurs Alpins. 

922f The French Army model of Epaulettes in 1914 was rather confusing. basically there were 1 epaulettes for Subaltern Officers ,sublieutenant to captain; 2 epaulettes for Field Officers ; Commandant to Colonel . 3 epaulettes for Generals .  the 1 were of two types, with 10 cm long fine loose fringes and without fringes . the Sublieutenant carried two fringeless epaulettes one on each shoulder. the lieutenant carried one fringeless on the right shoulder and one with fringes on the left shoulder , the first lieutenant at the inverse . the captain two fringed epaulettes one on each shoulder. The 2 were as follow : for Commandant (Major ) one with a fringe of 7cm long cords bounded together and the other ,on the right shoulder ,fringeless. for Lieutenant Colonel the two epaulettes have fringes but while the body of the epaulette was in metal colour as the button one the fringes were in the oposite metal . for Colonel there were two epaulettes with fringes all in button metal colour. The 3 were gold epaulettes with a thick rigid fringe . equal for all the Generals .the distinction was marked by the silver stars carried over ,from two to five . finally ,the Adjutant and Adjutant Chief carried also Subaltern Officer Type epaulettes but with a red line running through 

Thank you, Bayern, for your clear and understandable explanation.   I've never see this information offered in such easy to use form and will certainly make use of your work.  All best regards

• 4 months later...