News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgaria Order for Military Merit with Flat Reverse medallion

This model is one of the most difficult to get  So far I have seen only handful Orders from this model

After many years I managed to get second one to my collection

This one is 6th Class with crown

If you have any orders from this model can you list them

I have not seen any high classes (only in books) in any sales or collections

choose files...

005 (2).JPG

003 (2).JPG

001 (4).JPG

002.JPG

005.JPG

On 11/07/2021 at 09:36, Graf said:

This model is one of the most difficult to get  So far I have seen only handful Orders from this model

After many years I managed to get second one to my collection

This one is 6th Class with crown

If you have any orders from this model can you list them

I have not seen any high classes (only in books) in any sales or collections

choose files...

Than you for posting these medals! This variation is super rare, was supposedly made only for one year. 

On 11/07/2021 at 09:36, Graf said:

Hi New World,

Thank you for the comments yes It is rare one

Only one year and perhaps the only King Boris Emission without Grand Cross  The highest Class looks to be 1st Class

Best

On 13/07/2021 at 19:44, Graf said:

Only one year and perhaps the only King Boris Emission without Grand Cross  The highest Class looks to be 1st Class

Well, it's debatable whether there was even a 1st class in flat emission. The size of the cross during 1930s was the same for 3rd, 2nd and 1st classes, only the star identified the award to a certain class. This means that if you have a neck cross in 3rd class you can match it with a star and make it a 1st or 2nd class set.

We have to look at the awards with provenance. In over 20 years collecting I never saw a 1st class in flat emission neither in Civil Merit nor in Military Merit. Furthermore, I only saw few 2nd class sets which came with the documents.

Again, not saying with 100% certainty that 1st class did not exist in flat version, perhaps they are just so rare that I never encountered one, but based on my personal experience I am sceptical.  

Thank you Igor for bringing more light on the topic. I saw this set on one of the French Auctions a year ago, however due to the crazy times we are living now i did not pay as much attention

Hi New Word I did not doubt that 1st Classes ever existed. You , like me have seen 2nd Classes with Documents.

yes it is very tempting to add or switch items to upgrade them.  Now with the help of Igor, who was more observant and dedicated collector, we know that those 1st Classes do exist The question of time more of them to surface on the market.

Thank you Igor, this is really nice example of this award!

Perhaps my post was not very clear, what I was trying to say was - we can't say that they specifically made 1st class or 2nd class in flat emission. Rather, they made limited quantity of 'flat' Commander crosses, which later could be awarded by themselves (as 3rd class) or paired with 1st or 2nd class stars.

We don't know how this pairing process worked and how many - if any at all - 1st class awards were created. Following Igor's example, we know there was one award of Civil Merit. We don't know of any Military Merit 1st class awards.

Interestingly, the awards for 2nd class with documents I observed were both given to foreigners - one to an Italian Diplomat and another to a Professor/Rector of a University in Slovakia.

I have seen one Document for 2nd Class of Civil Merit to a German Diplomat  It makes 3 so far.

None for Military Merit More over i have not seen any  award nigher the 5th Class

One of  reasons will be that Bulgaria after WW2 went to a very Brutal period. many of the Royal Officers, Ministers and  many others who were branded as enemies of the People were executed and their Orders and Documents were either destroyed or got in the hands of their killers. It was very turbulent time. Also many Documents and Archives  were destroyed by the Communists to cover up for their past criminal activities.  Many of them were pity criminals and overnight became Political heres

The other reasons could be that those Documents are in private collections and still have not seen sun light.

Third reason is that those Documents do not specify  that the award is with Flat reverse medallions. That means that out there could be documents however their current owners do not know that they are awarded with this model of Award.

Prime-minister Kyoseivanov, wearing [presumably] that very same 1st class set. 

Original photo was taken in early October, 1937. This is indeed the year which the 'flat reverse' orders are mostly associated with. 

kyoseivanov.png

There you are Getting more and more information. Because the topic was not touched till now it does not mean that there is no more information out there

Thank you  Ilieff  for the picture

8 hours ago, ilieff said:

Prime-minister Kyoseivanov, wearing [presumably] that very same 1st class set. 

Original photo was taken in early October, 1937. This is indeed the year which the 'flat reverse' orders are mostly associated with. 

kyoseivanov.png

on this photo PM with order 1st class or with GC ? 

48DFBD46-1F02-4531-8202-7CD0AD67F5F2.png

5A0A46A0-3500-446B-84E2-11BDA0435FCD.png

A5352A1C-88FA-42CA-A86E-08A0FEFFAF9D.png

8A86EE48-B41A-4869-AF6D-4D1C7C5F58E9.png

6069A2D2-A6AB-40EB-BA50-3CEF81AE67DE.png

For me looks like GC The Star is Very big The 1st Class star is 84 and this one looks like bigger  That mean the size will be 95 mm which is a Grand cross Also the rays do not look flat more like with diamond cut  surface

There is a point to discuss If he was awarded GC When he was awarded it.  If it is before 1937 and the 1st was given later The Model with flat medallion was Special Edition He might had been given only the Cross from this edition

That can explain the missing Star. Also this Model was awarded only on one special occasion the Protocol might be different and the 1st Class could have been given after the GC ??!!!  Just speculating