News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello!

A friend of mine asked me to show this photo. Unfortunately I can´t say anything about it.

We see an asian soldier in Berlin. He seems to wear an uniform that looks very similar to a german one.But note the helmet!

What do you think, please? Probably an asian officer à la suite in the german army?

Which nationality could he be?

Thanks a lot!

scan 21.jpg

Hello Andreas!

Thanks a lot!

I read, the king had a lot of sons...

Unfortunately I couldn´t find anyone who could fit. In our Feldgrau-Forum I was told, he wears a cuirass from Kür.Rgt.2.

But the helmet is different.

I vote for a Chinese officer serving in a Prussian regiment. exists a pic of 1905 showing seven chinese officers enrolled in the German Army sic . Alamy stock pics. Four of the officers wear double breasted tunics in light blue with dark collar and pointed cuffs .as headress kepi in dark blue . three wear mounted troops equipment with breeches and riding boots ,sash and bandolier in the Prussian style ,also Prussian Shoulder boards .a fourh wears long trousers and only sash, infantry style . Three others wear Prussian Hussars uniforms but with a special colbac,with a large Chinese Draagon as badge. If you observes well the Pickelhaube of the asian officer pictured ,the Dragoon is on it 

11 hours ago, dedehansen said:

Hi,

I believe it is a prince from Siam.

Kind regards

Andreas

Not one of the Princes of Siam. That's not the Siamese Royal crest on the helmet. It the Imperial Chinese double-dragon insignia. My guess would be a member of the Chinese Imperial family attached to a Garde Cuirassier Regt. for training. Pre-1900 before all the trouble started in China. Perhaps he is one of Emperor Daoguang's 7 sons, born during the last quarter of the 19th century. The Chinese had a very large extended royal family with lots of minor princes.

Edited by bolewts58

I know that there were quite a few foreigners in German regiments at that time, from Siam, Turkey and other states, some of who you´ll find in the German Ranglisten. But they would (dependent on their military status) wear either a German uniform or (as observers) the uniform of their respective country. What irritates me with this photo is the combination of German cavalry uniform and Chinese helmet.

GreyC

1 hour ago, The Prussian said:

bolewts58

Thanks a lot for your explanation!

That really makes sense! Do you know any books about Chinese ( or asian in general) uniforms during that era (if possible in english language)?

I'm sorry I don't know off hand any books as it's really not an area of interest to me. I do know just from living here for the last 25 years that for the most part, the Siamese/Thais adopted British military uniforms in the 1890s as King Rama V (Chulalongkorn) became an avid Anglophile after his visit in 1897. He sent his sons to Eton, had his wives adopt British dress and hairstyles and introduced British school uniforms (still worn today). The dress uniforms still worn by the Thai military today are a direct influence from Britain. The Thai Royal Guard Regiments mirror very closely those of Great Britain. Except, because of the climate, the busby was replaced by a pith helmet with domed plume covering that mimics the British bearskin. The Thai Royal Household Cavalry dress very similarly to the British Household Cavalry with very similar style uniforms and plumed helmets (but no cuirass because of the heat).

I think the same is true of countries that are former British colonies. The Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Malaysian and Burmese (Myanmar) retained British style uniforms after independence. I encountered an Indian Sgt-Major on a trip to Kashmir in 1996 who was a very "pukka" British-style NCO complete with handlebar mustache, swagger stick, British style beret and overall demeanor. He would have been quite at home on any parade ground in the UK.

6 minutes ago, bolewts58 said:

Edited by bolewts58

5 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

That's very interesting! I don't know anything about uniforms or military in general in that area.

It was very helpful! Thanks a lot!

I'm sorry to have gone a little off topic. But, here are a couple of photos just to show what I mean about the British influence on Thai uniforms. 1st Royal Thai Guard Regt. and 1st Royal Thai Cavalry Regt.

1591934977_ThaiRoyalGuards.jpg.8da55be3a27d0ab71e95be60b87183d6.jpg1586348787_ThaiHouseholdCav.jpg.14516abcc6200ad05e83dab2dff833d8.jpg

A 1915 photo of King Rama VI (Vajiravudh) looking every bit the British Field Marshal with Queen Suvadhana. (As an aside, I worked for his daughter, Princess Benjaratana from 2005-2006 and received her 80th Birthday Commemorative Badge for service - strictly a case of being in the right placed at the right time. ;-D)

1915KingVajiravudhwithQueenSuvadhana.jpg.550a9eee447c57dc17b5db785d2191f0.jpg

Prince Chakrabongse, one of the sons of King Rama V (Chulalongkorn) and brother to King Rama VI (Vajiravudh) in the uniform of a Russian Hussar in 1906. He was an ADC and Imperial page to Tsar Nicholas II. He married a member of the Russian nobility. An oddball bit of info is that his great grandson is a rapper in New York signed to JayZ's record label.

2094415367_Chakrabongse_Bhuvanath_of_PhitsanulokRussianHusaruniform.jpg.9ce26d3750e1e92065342ab3f37d0a42.jpg

Edited by bolewts58

Hi to all and @The Prussian - I own two pictures presumably showing "Asian" men in German imperial uniforms. I do not want to hijack this thread without asking, so please let me know if it is OK to post them here too in the coming days, thanks ?

Cheers ArHo

Edited by ArHo

Alex

Very nicely done. The Thais would certainly like those.

Rama VI was more British than the British. I believe he went to Eton and some of his brothers went to Harrow. His orders and decorations along with those of Rama V and Rama IV are on display at the Grand Palace in Bangkok. They also had a whole rack of Imperial German and Russian Orders. The showcases fill a room.

1 hour ago, bolewts58 said:

Alex

Very nicely done. The Thais would certainly like those.

Rama VI was more British than the British. I believe he went to Eton and some of his brothers went to Harrow. His orders and decorations along with those of Rama V and Rama IV are on display at the Grand Palace in Bangkok. They also had a whole rack of Imperial German and Russian Orders. The showcases fill a room.

Hi thanks, yes I've seen some of the displays of uniforms etc (online)mainly British and Thai, would like to have seen the imperial German ones also

Regards

Well, as promised, nothing spectacular but here they are - though I have to add that I am honestly absolutely not sure about nr. 2 from Berlin, I do think that he does "look" very "asiatic", but please do correct me if this is a eurocentric visual misconception by me! He does wear the 1870/71 prussian commemorative war medal. I have to add that I do know nothing about these pictures from my "special"-box, my current research was about my main collecting field, but I would love to hear any opinions on these gents.

Cheers!

ScanImage002l.jpg

ScanImage003l.jpg

Edited by ArHo

Hi ArHo!

That´s really hard to see. The first one is clear. But the second one? Could be... or not...

But we may not forget, that the german army had a couple of non-europeans in their lines!

Note this black gunner from Feldart.Rgt.7 (by the way, some of them have brandenbug cuffs...)

1797541207_Feldart_Rgt.7(ErsatzabteilungbrandenburgischeAufschlgeNeger).thumb.jpg.642d257b651df99cfe2ead59f5316f95.jpg