News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HELP with greek RAF hat

The Elliniki Vassiliki Aeroporias or Royal Hellenic Air Force existed  from 1935 when the Monarchy was restaured until 1973 when it was abolished. before 1935 it was named Helliniki Polemiki Aeroporias or Greek war Aviation . The uniforms of the Royal hellenic Air Force were very RAF style. the colour ,grey blue , the badges ,the cut , the accesories etc . the badges of rank were also british type excepting that the Officers cuff lace of rank was topped with a rhombus , probably Italian influence. The personnel weared peaked caps also British type and sidecaps as the one that you show. the unit badge I am not able to say to wich Mira belonged your sidecap appears to be of fine quality and nearly unused . period of use ? or WW2 time or Civil War era 1947 1950. 

jaobr,

Interesting cap.  The cap badge doesn't seem to be in the correct place.   Too far forward but I am not an expert on these caps as worn by the Helleinic Air Force.  The badge appears to be correct. I wore one of these caps for years in the RCAF and the badge is usually further from the front.  The same as in the RAF.  See attached pictures.  I would be interested in seeing a picture of the buttons.

Regards,

Gordon

s-l1600 (74).jpg

• 1 year later...
    2 hours ago, curios said:

The ww2 (1941-1944) side cap badges from the royal greek airforce  were sand cast in the middle east and not pressed, attached  example

IMG-3101.jpg

Interesting information