News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An unknown medal / medallion

Studacool

Hello Ladies and Gents, 

I'm a long time admirer of your contributions and first time poster onto this forum. I've been collecting on and off for a while now and stumbled across this as part of a lot a few years back. Any hints on what it might be for? The medallion is surprisingly thick and seems to be of high quality, but not doesn't appear officially issued by the Government given the rudimentary 'two long pins' to affix to one's clothing at the back. The ribbon is nice quality, it appears. I am really keen to know what the ornate banner represents and what the kanji translates to - I acknowledge that there are likely 100s of different unofficial medals out and about, but this one seems special. Perhaps it is something to do with enthronement by chance, judging by the ribbon?

Image.jpegImage.jpegImage.jpeg

Thanks in advance all! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one!

Yep, you won`t find much on this curious one anywhere. 

You certainly knew where to ask ;) 

This commemorative medal was made by Suzuki workshop (Tokyo) somewhere around 1895.

It was ordered by [soldiers] welcoming committee of Meirakuchō (Nakamura Ward, Nagoya City, Aichi Prefecture).

Naturally for soldiers that returned with triumph (in the center of revers "to return in triumph"; "to return victorious") from First Sino-Japanese War  1894-95.

Best,

Nick

Hi Nick,

That's brilliant; thank you so much for providing this information. I am in awe of your, and this collective forum's knowledge and collegiate approach; the time you take to respond is most appreciated. So around 125 years old - pretty amazing stuff. I haven't seen too many of them around (never before and never since) - have you seen many about? 

Regards,

Stu

Chances of meeting another one are pretty slim. You see this is not a catalogue medal but a personalized one so to speak. Workshop used obverse of the standart medal in commemoration of Imperial Rescript on Education. Only the reverse inscription was changed.  I don`t think that more than one hundred were minted.