News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ordine Militare di Savoia

Hello Everybody

I have a question about the Military Order of Savoy the 1855 model. My references are contradictory about which is the obverse and which is the reverse.

I have seen both the Savoy Cross and the crossed swords /date 1855 worn as the obverse and reverse.

Totally confused

Grazie

Jim

Thanks for that... I just wanted to be sure...I have seen some Italian  officers wearing it with the Savoy cross on the obverse.. I think the swords?1855 side looks better.

Kind regards

Jim

Oh I see.....that is interesting and explains a lot .It seemed a widespread practise  So can I assume the Military Order of Italy official obverse is the swords and not the "R . I"  ?

Just today I was looking at a dealers site and on a Military Order Of Italy I saw  the dates 1855 and 1951....not 1947.  What is the significance of this?

Thank you for helping me understand this order

Jim

Hello again,

the "1951" thing, I suspect is just a mistake of the maker. The Order was reinstituted in 1947 and also the officers who, still alive from 1947 onwards, who earned the OMS earlier than June 2nd, 1946 (proclamation of the Republic of Italy), had to exchange their Savoy's type decoration, with the "new one".

The same, happened with the Medal for Military Valour (Medaglia al Valore Militare) in its three grades, Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Also in the Order's Honour Roll, all knights of all times, are now described as having received the "Ordine Militare d'Italia", instead the "Ordine Militare di Savoia".

I would add that very few pre-1946 knights, or those decorated with the Medal for Military Valour, wore the republican type on their uniform, being the Savoy model quite tolerated.

Thanks for that information. I too have seen pictures in Manno"s book on Italian medals of officers wearing both pre and post valour medals. at the same time...it is all very interesting. 

This is indeed a curious insignia. I see BOTH "savoy cross" and "crossed swords V E" breast stars on older insignia.

And I see the President award modern Knight insignia with the crossed sword /1855 on the obverse but then (on another forum) I see a picture of an "RI" obverse on an Officers insignia and a drawing  of the Grand Cross with a "RI" obverse sash badge which is worn with a "swords 1855/1947 "star. I assume an "RI" breast star doesn't exist. Perhaps it is just a personal  decision how this prestigious award is worn.

All the best

Jim