News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early 1900's Royal Artillery 1st Caithness Volunteer's Uniform Insignia - Slade Wallace Belt Equipment Help?

Hello All - I do hope all is well with everyone in these difficult days?

Recently I picked up an outstanding early 1900's NCO uniform to the 1st R.A. Caithness Royal Artillery Volunteers. The uniform tunic, insignia, braid trim and trousers are high quality and fabric is Officer's doe skin. I collect Victorian Officer's uniforms and this NCO example is on par with them for sure. Custom maker - dated labels from Hobson & Son's both named to the same NCO are present in tunic and trousers with the QVC buckle also being marked Hobson & Sons Lexington St. London. Not a War Department stores uniform but a nicely tailored one. It also came with his old Slade Wallace buff belt (QVC) with the markings to the same Regiment.

Can any forum members kindly tell me:

- what is the star type insignia above the bullion gun/sergeants rank stripes? As he was a long service soldier I would expect to find service stars on the lower sleeve - but there are none so I wonder if this insignia if not an appointment replaces a certain number of service stars?
    - is this the rank for a regular Battery Sergeant?
    - are NCO uniforms to this particular Royal Artillery Volunteer Regt common and did Volunteer units have tailored uniforms vs. WD issue ones  or would private purchase uniforms normally be  just for officers and senior NCO's?

- the white pouch (it has matching issue numbers to the white belt) - does not contain any ammo loops inside so it wouldn't be for ammunition I believe - wondering if this is more to do with specific artillery carried items?  The matching belt buckle on the belt is Victorian Crown in silver so I believe it was from his earlier pre 1902 service time.
    - there was also a small matching strap with buckle inside this pouch - any ideas of what it is for?

A really outstanding piece of kit - albeit a bit outside my main area of interest and knowledge.

I'd certainly appreciate any information any forum members could provide.

Stay well and kindest regards from across the Pond!   Bruce

ra1.jpg

ra2.jpg

ra3.jpg

ra4.jpg

ra5.jpg

ra6.jpg

• 1 month later...