News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgaria medal bar with Commemorative Medal 1885 Alexander Batenberg

Hi Gentlemen, 

I came across this Bulgarian medal bar and will be very grateful if you could express your point on view on the below remarks:

bg1.thumb.jpg.44753b1e418854ce5e0173f070915858.jpgbg3.thumb.JPG.6c09c4282d1f712ff68f4255b667f944.JPG

bg10.PNG.e337c7bdb527d99845eefc0d9a15d5a3.PNG

bg5.JPG.68bd87096a4427543afc5fa0efab9438.JPG

+All the ribbons seems to be old 

+Medals and orders seem to be fine, however I am a beginner in the Bulgarian orders and medals

-He has the commemorative Serbian-Bulgarian War medal 1885, and Commemorative medals 1912-1913, 1915-1918, so already in 1885 he was in the army however in at least 32 years of service he does not have X, XX service medals and he does not have the Order of Military Merit and the Merit Order (Za Zasluga). 

-From all the medal bars I have seen on Bulgarians this is the first one to have the first variant of the commemorative 1885 Serbian-Bulgarian War medal, which after the abdication of the king had to be replaced with the new type. 

Will be very grateful for your comments on the above remarks and photos. 

Thank you, 

Lucky

Edited by LuckySlevin

Yes

It is very interesting medal bar.

If some of the Orders are missing it does  not mean that the person was not awarded them. Simply not included.

Another possibility is this person was not be in active military service.

I noticed very interesting fact

The  4th Class 2nd Grade of the Order for Bravery has central medallion, which is from the Republican period 1945-1946 The possibility that this person offered his services over 45 years period is very unusual.

Either the central medallion was lost and replaced with later model one..or this Cross was added later on to the medal bar

Yes, Medal conditions vary so much [ 'Hammered edge' of Battenburg 1885 medal sharp contrast with others] they suggest reassembly...still worthwhile group.     I'd opine that it's an old ribbon bar perhaps missing medals with replacement medals added. 

If you can see the backing material where the hook and pin are attached, it most likely would be a sort of Beaver-board [studry compressed fibre board, usually heavier than cardboard].   

Sources seem to differ on the requirement to replace first type 1885 war medals.

Hi (@@F

Good points Yes that is other possibility a replacement medals to be added especially the Order for Bravery iThe hook looks very accessable no need the reassemble the bar. Otherwise the difference between the Bravery Order and the Battenberg medal is significant in overall condition and in time - over 50 years.

In such cases the Provenance is important It is worth exploring

Here is a Document for this medal

Picture 611.jpg