News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does anyone speak/read Arabic?

elbavaro

Dear all,

I am interested in an arab/iraqi medal on ebay. My problem is: I don't understand a word arabic. So I am not quite sure if the medal is what the vendor says. I anyone able to help me with the writing on the reverse of the medal?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/255083551795?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind Regards

Chris

Vendor correctly identified this medal:  1954 Kingdom of Iraq Army Flood Rescue Medal aka

The Salvation Medal (Nut al-Inqath).   King Faisal II established it in 1954 to recognize services performed during the catastrophic floods caused when the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers both burst their banks that year.  A number of foreigners received this medal and reserve stocks came on market following the Gulf Wars. 

Forgot exact translation of reverse.     Clear image below--my nearly non-existant Arabic makes out 'Kingdom of Iraq' at top, saving/rescue water in middle & date at bottom.   

Owain RawRees published a description in the Orders & Medals Society of America's Journal, Volume 57, number 1.    Don't remember if Owain translated the inscriptions...either he or Ellie have done so somewhere, perhaps here in GMIC. 

See also http://www.ghossoub.net/IraqMedals.htm and other Internet sites.

s-l400.jpg