News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sweden - King Karl XV - Medal Identification?

Greetings,

I would appreciate any help in identifying this medal. I don't believe it is an "official" medal. The ribbon is missing.

The medal is in the Swedish 7th size (31mm). It is silver, and the numerals XV on the reverse are hand engraved. 

Any help offered is much appreciated.?

G.

CarlXVo.jpeg

CarlXVr.jpeg

I'm not a Sweden expert, but it looks like one of the unofficial medals/coins made to commemorate the coronation of King Carl XV in 1860. The reverse would normally have the King's motto ("Land skal med lov bygges"), but that appears to have been removed and replaced with a long service indication... or does the XV numeral maybe refer to the King?

I have not seen it with a suspension ring before (and the wreath is slightly different from the ones you normally see).

I believe Great Dane is correct. It looks like an altered version of Karl XVs coronation coin (kastmynt in Swedish). 

3200 pieces were made. 

See picture below of an unaltered piece. I have see several coronation coins from different kings that have been altered for wear. Made in to brooches or as a necklace. 

Why yours have been engraved with XV is a bit strange. It should probably not indicate long service in the royal court, since that's what "The Kings Medal" (Hovmedaljen / Court medal) is for. 

image00727.jpg

Gentlemen,

I am grateful for your replies, and the information shared. Apparently, just one of those old curiosities that I believe that is a part of the fascination of collecting. Here are a couple of (marginally) better photos, if you save images.

Thank you again.

G.

KXVobv.jpg

KXVrev.jpg