News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Questions about Landwehr Kavallerie

I’ve searched but haven’t found much information regarding Landwehr Kav officers and men

1- I understand enlisted Landwehr men wore the uniform of the regiment. Officers wore a special tunic but why?

2- How would an older officer in the Landwehr only be a Lt or O/Lt?

3- Would officers in the Garde Landwehr Kavallerie wear Pickelhaube and visor cap of the sister Regiment? Ulan, Dragoon,Husar, etc?

4- Did men and officers transfer from the reserves to the Landwehr?

Charles,

lots of questions there!

1. in peacetime generally speaking no Landwehr cavalry exercise units were formed for manoeuvres. Hence no NCOs and troopers‘ standard Landwehr uniform. On mobilisation, however, Landwehr cavalry regiments etc were formed by active cavalry regiments and the NCOs and troopers were equipped in the style of the formation unit.

However, Landwehr cavalry officers could attend peacetime manoeuvres and were also required to if they desired promotion to qualify for higher rank. They consequently did have a uniform of a standard pattern.

2. it very much depended on the motivation, personal situation and desire for advancement of the individual officer. Probably most Landwehr officers were quite content to serve their obligatory term in the Landwehr with the least inconvenience to their civilian profession and consequently never advanced beyond subaltern rank.  

3. No; the uniform was standard regardless of prior regimental affiliation. The Guards did wear a slightly different uniform to their line counterparts, i.e. Guard eagle and star etc.

4. Yes. In the case of officers, one could remain in the reserves if desired and agreed by the parent regiment. Of course, depending on the age when the non active officer aspirant was commissioned, he could be immediately commissioned into the Landwehr.

Regards

Glenn

1 hour ago, Glenn J said:

On mobilisation, however, Landwehr cavalry regiments etc were formed by active cavalry regiments and the NCOs and troopers were equipped in the style of the formation unit.

Hi,

Glenn said most of what could be said.

However, let me add a tiny bit of information and three photos:

The Landwehr NCOs and other ranks did have the same uniform as the line units, however they were distinguished from them by way of cockade, which had the Landwehrcross on it (1st photo). The Pickelhauben also had a Landwehr-cross on it. See attached photo from Kürassier Regiment 7. The Rittmeister of the Landwehr-Provinzial Kavallerie with visor cap does not wear the Landwehr-cross on cockade and the number of the Army Corps on his shoulder-piece, so I was told.

GreyC

534777694_xxLandwehrHusarUffzLandwehrKokarde.thumb.jpg.6810864a7d3d7ba4b3ae47c84c1a2ecf.jpg

1138466876_x7_KRLandwehroffizierDienstauszeichnungLandwehrhelmScharpeATHahnMagdeburg26121886.thumb.jpg.8992d3eca97ee7e18b322cf6b52920a2.jpg

xx_LandwehrKavallerieAK9Rttmstr.thumb.jpg.dd3784a1f5294d5c4179e0be8fb1b0e8.jpg

Edited by GreyC

Thanks Glenn and Grey… very helpful. I had a Landwehr-Provinzial Kavallerie Friedensrock once and have seen a handful of Landwehr Kavallerie officer tunics over the years. Seems odd for those officers to have unique uniforms. 
    I like the landwehr Husar. The Landwehr officer photo is nice thought I don’t understand why he doesn’t have a Landwehr cockade. His cap has red piping, winder the band color….

5 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

Glenn said most of what could be said.

However, let me add a tiny bit of information and three photos:

The Landwehr NCOs and other ranks did have the same uniform as the line units, however they were distinguished from them by way of cockade, which had the Landwehrcross on it (1st photo). The Pickelhauben also had a Landwehr-cross on it. See attached photo from Kürassier Regiment 7. The Rittmeister of the Landwehr-Provinzial Kavallerie with visor cap does not wear the Landwehr-cross on cockade and the number of the Army Corps on his shoulder-piece, so I was told.

GreyC

534777694_xxLandwehrHusarUffzLandwehrKokarde.thumb.jpg.6810864a7d3d7ba4b3ae47c84c1a2ecf.jpg

1138466876_x7_KRLandwehroffizierDienstauszeichnungLandwehrhelmScharpeATHahnMagdeburg26121886.thumb.jpg.8992d3eca97ee7e18b322cf6b52920a2.jpg

xx_LandwehrKavallerieAK9Rttmstr.thumb.jpg.dd3784a1f5294d5c4179e0be8fb1b0e8.jpg

The Field grey version of the Landwehr Kavallerie Officers Waffenrock 

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

During 1914 and 1915 five Landwehr Cavalry Regiments were raised . numbered  1 later 10, 2 later 11 , 90 and 92 and i suppose that the fifth was the Garde Landwehr Cavalry Regiment the data is from Nigel Thomas book The German Army in World War One (3) 1917 1918 , ilustrated by Ramiro Bujeiro . i had copied literally except my supossition of the Garde Landwehr Regiment . Thomas said also that they used the uniform of their parent Regiment . its all

• 1 month later...