News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sweden Vaasa-orden Mini of Commander Class

Hi JohanH,

Sorry, That is life It reminds me a story of English Lord, who won an item on Auction, how much he paid for it The price was not disclosed to the Public. His answer was " Well put that way It was more valuable for me then for the other bidders" At least you know the final price. i was prepared to pay more the you wanted to spend for it

Good Luck next time

Not yet arrived I will let you know

Cheers

Graf

Yes, that's the fun part of auctions. Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. 

Unfortunately for me (fortunately for you) my collecting budget is quite small and there are a few other items I wanted more than this mini.

Otherwise the price would have been a lot higher. You got it for a very good price this time. :)

Hi JohanH,

Yes, i assume that the price would have been bigger.

I collect Orders from Europe and i usually try to get the Miniature of the Full size Order i have in my collection.

Sweden Orders are not my first line of collecting, however I have few of them ,since I like their design

All of us have certain budget. Sometimes is bigger sometimes is lower.

Perhaps, next time you will beat me I never get upset when outbid by a fellow collector. What is upsets me when a Dealer buys the item and re -sells for a higher price Well they have to live..however not on my expense

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hi JohanH,

Here is a picture of the miniature together with two other miniatures in Gold I have in my collection

The Commander miniature is not marked, however it is silver and it is double sided with very detailed design.

I am amazed how they can make such small detailed minis

Regards

Graf

001.JPG

Hi 1812 Overture,

Thank you for the nice comments.

Yes  life is , like you say, like a sea waves.

The collectors life is even more wavy, because we have the passion, which sometimes does not get matched with our funds.

However we learn to live with that.

I, personally restructured  and trimmed my collection  several times in order to generate funds.

I also realised that is difficult to have everything and tried to restrict the scope of my collecting

It is easier to manage. We have to l accept the fact that sometimes we can miss an item.

However life showed me that in many occasions I got similar item in better condition and on better price.

Just we have to be patient.

Cheers

Keep safe

Graf

It's a very nice little mini you got!

To bad it isn't marked. 

Could you make some close ups on the little sword-mini? 

How old would you guess it is? I have passed on several minis in the same style since I doubt their authenticity. (If any miniature could be considered authentic that is...)

• 2 months later...

Hi JohanH,

I collect miniatures

Yes, there are some questionable miniatures on the market, however they are usually bad quality

Not all miniatures are marked.

I also suspect that many are privately made by request of the awarded person or their friends and family members, especially the luxury models

Johan, if I remember correctly these GC Sword miniature stars came from an Rome based Italian shop that closed around 5 years ago, I cannot remember which one. Their remaining stock were sold and I was offered a large lot of miniatures which I turned down due to the asking price. There were several of Nordic/Scandinavian interest, like GC stars of the Dannebrog, the icelandic Falcon, the Finnish White Rose, the Order of Olav and this Order of the Sword. You can find some of them on eBay from time to time, and even in Italian "Diplomatic" groups if you're lucky, they are perfectly valid and seems to range from around the 1940-1960 period.

I may have a spare one if you're interested, but have to look, so no promise ?

Edited by larsb001

10 hours ago, larsb001 said:

Johan, if I remember correctly these GC Sword miniature stars came from an Rome based Italian shop that closed around 5 years ago, I cannot remember which one. Their remaining stock were sold and I was offered a large lot of miniatures which I turned down due to the asking price. There were several of Nordic/Scandinavian interest, like GC stars of the Dannebrog, the icelandic Falcon, the Finnish White Rose, the Order of Olav and this Order of the Sword. You can find some of them on eBay from time to time, and even in Italian "Diplomatic" groups if you're lucky, they are perfectly valid and seems to range from around the 1940-1960 period.

Yes, I have dealt with this Italian Dealer in the past he also offered many Original sashes and ribbons...and those items including the miniatures come from time to time ,mainly on eBay. France

13 hours ago, larsb001 said:

A ton of these were sold by Spink for a few year ago, if I remember correctly.

19 hours ago, larsb001 said:

Interesting that they are from Italy! 

Especially since few Italians received the grand cross of the Order of the Sword. Since 1900 only 19 grand crosses went to Italy. There was a few more Commander 1st class, 31 since year 1900. 

So the market for miniatures of that order in Italy would be pretty narrow. 

9 hours ago, Kvart said:

A ton of these were sold by Spink for a few year ago, if I remember correctly.

Those sold in the last 2-3 years on Spink Auctions are part of a huge collections of an Austrian collector

Most of those miniatures were very exclusive Some were very rare

The ones that came from Italy looked like they were made somewhere (perhaps in Italy) with very similar pattern and finish, and  all were in very small size

And I agree with larsb001 that  "they are perfectly valid and seems to range from around the 1940-1960 period. "

Fascinating thread.   Scandinavian awards almost always appear to have thoughtful & artistic design combined with high quality realization and execution. Miniatures carry those attributes to an even better result!

The bulk of ex-Italian minis stemmed from the Gardino of Roma [Cravanzola, Borani et. al.] liquidation...thousands of items sold over several year period from around 2013.   Much of the Austrian collection formerly in Rothe  'archive' which included material for defunct Austrian manufacturers including Meyer.    Of that source,, often would see a badge & star on ribbon presented together.   Some Spink offered minis from their 'archive' as well, especially Indian Princely State items.   

Hi 922F

Thank you for your contribution to the thread with your knowledge

I agree with you about the Scandinavian Awards. That is why i started a side line of my collecting with Swedish Orders.

BTW I got couple of those Badge and Star Combination Minis , however they are not Scandinavian and they are listed in the Bulgarian section